something to think about

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2004

      Daffodils in bloom and irises pushing through the ground? Can
      it really be? Yes, if you live in Georgia, like my friend who sent
      me an e-mail with spring details. Rather than trying to "rub it
      in", sharing the sunshine in her yard with me, she gave me hope for
      a Michigan spring.
      John was in college and a couple of the guys in his dorm had
      new cars. These were not just new cars, they were sports cars.
      John would see his friends driving to practice, or around town and
      John's focus became, not his education, but to one day own a new
      sports car. John never really thought about his goals, but if he
      had, he would have realized that his goal had thrown him off
      balance. He didn't see that a car couldn't make him happy.
      Finally, after finishing college, he had married, and, of course,
      along came a few children. A sports car was just not an option.
      Finally John reached the goal of owning a sports car. John had
      waited so long for his goal to happen that after a few times of
      driving his car, he was quite disappointed. The car was cramped,
      the stick shift he thought was so "cool" when he was in college was
      not nearly as nice as an automatic, the ride was not as smooth as
      his family size car, and what was more, no one seemed to notice that
      he was driving it!
      John's lesson was a long time coming. But, John isn't
      different than many of us. Most of us have some great longing in
      our life that we think will make us happy, but one day we realize
      that what we were searching for was an illusion.
      This is the essence of "The Simple Life" - finding what will
      make you happy, and realizing that it is right around you all the
      time. Your faith, the good you do, your family and friends. A
      person who loves himself or herself will never be waiting to be
      happy. Sometimes we need to make changes to simplify our lives.
      But simplicity isn't always the simple route. Deciding to make a
      good meal at home, change careers, or make any big change isn't
      always easy. Most of us have already learned bigger isn't really
      better. The struggle to "have it all" ends when we embrace what we
      already have.
      Taking a walk, noticing a great sunset, a kiss from your child,
      a smile, a laugh with a good friend. Right now – this moment – is
      all you have. Don't throw it away.

      * * *
      "The Passion of the Christ"
      If you push past all the hype and all the controversy, and even all
      the plans of using the film
      for evangelism, I think you'll find "The Passion of the Christ" is a
      great work of art, the
      product of a gifted storyteller striving toward a master work. ~~
      Jon Walker

      · Note: Please let us know how you liked the movie!*

      Vote for this movie by attending! We complain that Hollywood
      feeds us junk movies all the time, let's let them know what we want!

      * * *
      Simple Family Chores

      To make family chores really simple, first make a list of chores
      such as dishes, laundry, shoveling snow, vacuuming, dusting, etc.
      Divide into categories, of daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly,
      bimonthly, etc. If you have Excel, or another similar program, list
      the chores, leaving several check boxes after each. Family members
      write in their initials after doing a chore. Make it a contest.
      Whoever does the most chores in a week, wins first, second, third
      place (etc.) Their allowance, or other incentive comes from how many
      chores they accomplish. There is a minimum number of jobs for
      each. When the whole family helps out, one or two jobs after work
      or school is usually all it takes. Have fun with this, just don't
      give up in one week. Learning a new system takes a few weeks to
      work the kinks out. Mom and Dad must be together on this. The best
      fun is when the whole family can work together to rake the leaves,
      or other big task. When you make it fun, even work can become a
      happy family memory.

      * * *

      To feel loved, to belong, to have a place and to hear one's dignity
      and worth often affirmed - these are to the soul what food is to the
      body. ~~Anne Ortlund

      Love stretches your heart and makes you big inside. ~~Margaret Walker

      The debt of gratitude we owe our mother and father goes forward, not
      backward. What we owe our parents is the bill presented to us by our
      children. ~~Nancy Friday
      Sharing what you have is more important than what you have. ~~Albert
      M. Wells, Jr.

      * * *
      No-Fat Muffins

      1 c flour
      1/2 c applesauce
      1/3 c brown sugar
      1/2 t cinnamon
      1 mashed banana (optional)
      1/2 c oatmeal or whole wheat flour
      2 t baking soda
      1/2 t salt
      1/2 c milk

      Mix together and bake @ 400` for 20 minutes. May sprinkle with
      cinnamon-sugar before baking, if desired.

      If you are changing your e-mail address, don't forget to change it
      here! Log on to

      and add your new e-mail address.

      Please pass this on to friends who want to join the "Simple LIfe"
      Family!