The Simple Life - Family Organization Tips

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2004

      ~~~ ~~~

      God is looking for those with whom He can do the impossible--what a
      pity that we
      plan only the things that we can do by ourselves." --A.W.Tozer

      Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our path, is
      the perfect preparation only He can see.

      FAMILY ORGANIZING TIPS

      Family organizing tips started out to be Organizing Tips for
      Large Families, but then I began to think that many of these ideas,
      or variations of them will work for all families, large or small.
      This article came from a plea from a cousin who is adopting 3 young
      girls from Russia. Since they already have 3 children, she wants to
      be organized and have some ideas that will give her time to nurture
      the whole family so that she won't be overwhelmed. Here are some
      ideas sent by readers, and things I have picked up from others.

      In one foster family, with 8 adopted children I met, both
      parents work full time. How do they do this? Mom works 3 -12 hour
      night shifts per week. Her mother lives with them and watches the
      younger children on the days when she sleeps until noon. Dad does
      all the shopping. WOW! Mom never even has to stop for a gallon of
      milk. Menus are a must to keep from running to the store all the
      time. Buying in bulk is also a must. The teenagers are responsible
      for laundry. This takes some instruction in the beginning, but
      after that, they are on their own.
      A family calendar is a must. EVERYONE'S appointments are on
      ONE calendar. The kids know that if they don't get the Band Concert
      on the calendar, they might be going alone. Mom or Dad check for
      notes after school, to jot down dates well in advance.
      One family who adopted 3 children from overseas, realized that
      these children would be overwhelmed by all the "stuff" we have here
      in America. They put all but one toy for each child in the basement
      and did not tell the children there WAS a basement. Gradually more
      toys were introduced. After a year the children found out there was
      a basement. I'm not sure how they did this (was the door to the
      basement in a secret place?) But regardless, variations of this
      might just well be a good idea for all families.

      More Ideas:
      ~put clothes together as outfits.
      ~ be sensitive to emotional needs. Children, adopted or not, are
      often scared of new places or things. Let them get to know a
      babysitter by visiting several times ahead of time, or having
      babysitters visit often, well in advance of the child being left
      alone with them. Plan ahead – there will be emergencies!
      ~ storage really is key. Everything has a place and everything in
      its place. Children learn to pick up one toy before getting out
      another.
      ~ Keep a quite schedule. Even church can be overwhelming at times
      and that is not what it is meant to be. Pioneers went to church
      only several times a year or worshiped at home. Outside functions
      can shred families to pieces if we are not careful.
      ~Get the kids to help as much as possible.
      ~Don't be a perfectionist.
      ~Make lists - menus ahead will help.
      ~Try to go to the store as little as possible.
      ~limit your extracurricular activities to family outings.
      ~ Any language barrier with adopted children will be a big strain,
      I'm sure at first, but it will also be fun and funny! If you can
      find an interpreter, all the better!
      ~ Large families attract! Set an extra place setting or two – Just
      Because! What a Blessing!
      ~ Teach kids to conserve! Turn off lights, etc, when not in use.
      ~ Don't assume kids know how to treat electrical equipment. Keep
      expensive items out of reach of small children to avoid expensive
      replacement or repair bills. Or have a rule, that only teens and
      up, turn on TV's, computers, etc.
      ~ Teach children the proper use of computers, and their procedures.
      Take the time to explain HOW they will be used, and operated. Or, if
      you don't know, you might elect a child to be the family instructor
      if they are knowledgeable.
      ~ Take lots of pictures, cherish every moment (even the bad won't be
      when it's a few years in the past).
      ~ Keep journals to let off steam and emotions.
      ~ On a tight budget, allowances might not be an option. Don't
      worry, love is enough!
      ~ Curfews don't work for everyone. The kids will learn limits and
      respect them.
      ~When you fill their lives with caring, it's amazing how easy it
      really, really is.
      ~Tell yourself each day you are a SUPERB PARENT – you already are!
      ~ Don't let other people define LARGE for you. Think of your family
      as normal!
      ~ If money permits, going to an outing or special show can be so
      much fun. If you can't afford many outings, there are TONS of free
      things your family can do!
      ~ Moms, especially, need to have some "off time". Don't let
      yourself become frazzled. Find a way to have alone time and couple
      time!

      And, finally, thanks to the mom who sent this in:

      #1---don't listen to others, use your God given mother's instinct.
      #2---don't listen to others, instead, pray, pray, pray
      #3---don't listen to others, react in love to all situations
      #4---don't listen to others, the ones with the most advice don't
      have kids or don't have many and therefore don't have a clue as to
      what's up in YOUR life.
      If you just promise yourself to take it one minute at a time,
      everyone will adjust and you'll be a fabulously firm foundation of
      friendship and love. Mountains are just pebbles stacked high. One
      pebble at a time you can at least change its shape.

      * * *
      Here is a quick easy recipe for the whole family!

      Peanut Butter No Bakes
      1/2 c milk
      2 c sugar
      Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat & add:

      1 tbsp vanilla
      1 stick margarine or butter (1/2 c)
      1/2 c peanut butter

      Let cool 15 minutes & then add: 3 c oatmeal

      * * *
      In the Garden:

      Try This: Try starting a few seeds indoors for the first time, for
      your garden. You can put them under ultraviolet light (a shop light)
      and you don't need the special lights, regular florescent lights
      work great. Most seeds do need extra heat though – 70's – 80's.
      Moisture is key for them to pop out of the soil, so keep well
      misted, or cover with a clear plastic bag with a couple vent holes.
      Make sure they don't get too hot! You can start the seeds in some
      soil in egg cartons but, when they are about 2 inches high, you will
      need to transplant to a larger container. Feed with a plant food
      once or twice a week.
      If it works for you on a small scale for the first year, you may
      want to try more next year. Start with something easy like lettuce,
      tomatoes, or cabbage family plants. Good luck!

      Take care and many many blessings. (You already are!)

      Keeping Family Organization Simple
      Sheryl

      Visit

      to sign up for our newsletter, or check the recipe files.

      Please write to me thesimple_life@... to send questions,
      suggestions, or articles you wrote and would like to pass on.
      Gardening tips, recipes, or family fun ideas encouraged!