!!! Happy New Year's !!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2003

      New Year Contentment

      A wealthy executive came to northern Michigan on vacation for
      Christmas vacation. He visited museums, skied, and did some sight
      seeing. He rented a cabin in a quaint little village. Every
      morning he would hear a chopping noise. After several days he walked
      a small path through the woods and found a man chopping wood. The
      man had several rosy-cheeked children playing about in the snow.
      His pretty wife was helping load his truck.
      The wealthy executive asked the man "why do you chop wood every
      morning?"
      The man answered, "Well, we heat with wood, and I sell enough
      wood to feed our family."
      "Well, you only chop wood for two hours a day, what do you do
      the rest of the time?"
      "Well, I sleep late, I chop a little wood, I play with my
      children, we eat food we harvested from our garden, we go fishing
      and hunting, and we take the children down to the beach in the
      summertime. In the evenings we sing and strum the guitar. Sundays
      we take a day off and attend church. It's a great life"
      "You know, I think I can help you."
      "How's that?"
      "I'm here on vacation from downstate and own a big company.
      Believe me, I know how to make money. When you make money, you can
      go anywhere you like. If you spend more time cutting wood, you
      could be rich! All you have to do is hire a crew, buy some bigger
      equipment - an ax is a bit out dated, you know. Then you lease some
      land, set up a sawmill, why - in 15 or 20 years you would have it
      made. Soon you could move downstate, open an office and sell your
      wood products all from a nice big desk and you wouldn't even have to
      go to the woods anymore."
      "Well, then what would I do?"
      "Well, then you could retire, sell your business and move
      anywhere you wanted to.
      You could sleep late, fish, take your grandkids to the beach,
      build a big home, and take it easy."
      "Well, sir, you have helped me."
      "Then you are going to take my advice?"
      "Not at all, but you have helped me be thankful for all that
      I already have."

      * * *
      POEM FOR THE NEW YEAR

      People are often
      Unreasonable and self-centered.
      Forgive them anyway.
      If you are kind,
      People may accuse you of ulterior motives,
      Be kind anyway.
      If you are honest,
      People may cheat you,
      Be honest anyway.
      If you find happiness,
      People may be jealous.
      Be happy anyway.
      The good you do today
      May be forgotten tomorrow.
      Do good anyway.
      Give the world the best you have,
      And it may never be enough.
      Give your best anyway.
      For you see, in the end,
      It is between you and God,
      It never was between you and them anyway.

      Mother Teresa

      * * *

      Winter Gardening Indoors

      There are so many gardening jobs to do in the `nice weather'
      months, think about what you can do that would improve your garden
      that you can do now during the winter. Do you like bird houses?
      With some lumber scraps you can build a few and paint them or
      decorate them to set out in the spring. When you find pictures in
      magazines that you like, tear them out and save them. If you make
      extras you can have a head start on next Christmas.

      Make a list of vegetables that you would like in your garden
      this year. Get your seeds ahead of time so you aren't running
      around trying to find peas or onion seeds at the last minute.

      Plan your flower gardens ahead. Research rare flowers you are
      interested in, find out the best growing conditions, and get
      involved in a seed swap in the many on-line gardening clubs. Yahoo
      and many others have gardening clubs with seed exchanges.

      Have you seen some fancy plant markers that you like? Make
      them this winter using materials that are cheap and easy to find.

      Find a local gardening club and attend during the winter, or
      start your own group. Nothing brightens a winter day like a garden
      club meeting!

      Always keep your eyes open for garden tools on clearance at
      lawn and garden shops, etc.

      Scour magazines for ideas and put the pages in a file folder
      that you want to use. Maybe you would like a garden pond, a gazebo,
      or other structure. Keep the picture handy for when you can get
      outside and get started.

      For anyone who is really experiencing winter doldrums, get out
      your paints and try painting some garden scenes. Always start with
      the background and work to the front. You may find that you have a
      talent you didn't know you had!

      Every gardener knows that under the cloak of winter lies a
      miracle ... a seed waiting to sprout, a bulb opening to the light, a
      bud straining to unfurl. And the anticipation nurtures our dream.
      ~~ Barbara Winkler
      * * *

      Simple Parenting

      PUNISHMENT is what is done TO a person.
      DISCIPLINE is what is done FOR a person.

      * * *
      For your New Year's Party

      Sausage Con Queso Dip

      1 lb hot roll sausage
      1 pkg 16 oz pasteurized process cheese spread
      1 small tomato, diced
      1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies, drained.
      Tortilla chips

      In large saucepan, crumble and brown sausage over medium heat.
      Drain on paper towels then return sausage to pan. Cut cheese into
      cubes and add to sausage. Cook, stirring frequently until cheese is
      melted. Stir in tomato and chilies. Serve warm with chips.

      Keeping the New Year Simple,
      Sheryl

      Please send your favorite recipes for our recipe file, or your
      gardening ideas! During these cold winter months we can brighten
      our days with warm ideas! thesimple_life@...