Simple December

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2003

      A Simple Christmas

      A Simple Christmas is something I strive for every year. I
      love Christmas, especially the Christmas Carols. The Christmas Eve
      candlelight service has to be my favorite service of the year.
      One year I was elected to play the carols for a Christmas
      service at a small church. (I was the only one who could play the
      piano, I guess!) Two of my children, Holly and BJ accompanied me to
      the service and they were right at that age where they were too old
      for the nursery, but I wished they had been IN the nursery that
      night. Being normal kids, they began to fool around in the pew
      right behind me as I played. As I recall, no one else sat close to
      them, and I was wishing someone had clobbered them for me, but no
      one did, so of course I tried to ignore their behavior the best that
      I could, but finally, between songs, I had to get their attention
      without drawing too much attention from the congregation.
      As I recall, though, the atmosphere of the whole service was
      very nice. The church simply glowed and I'm sure even Jesus
      understood the giggles of two small children on Christmas Eve.
      That service alone, to me, is the essence of Christmas. There
      are no presents to worry about, no food to get ready, nothing has to
      happen but that I show up and the music, more than anything, carries
      me from there. The strains of Silent Night, Holy Night and O Little
      Town of Bethlehem take us back in time to a simpler time. We are
      there with the shepherds in the fields. We hear the angels singing
      the sounds of heaven as we can only imagine angels sing. We walk
      the dirt paths to the stable and see our tiny savior with them. And
      we leave the church feeling as if we have witnessed a miracle with
      our own eyes.
      That is the meaning of Christmas. For 2000 years, somewhere in
      the world, in tiny hamlets to huge cathedrals, worshipers have felt
      this same awe that I feel every Christmas Eve.
      According to John 3:16, "God so loved the world that He gave us
      His son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have
      everlasting life." Jesus is the real Reason for the Season; let's
      make sure we and our families honor Him this holiday season and keep
      Jesus in the season – His season. No matter how we fuss and fight
      throughout the year on this one quiet evening - it's just that

      * * *

      I believe there's an inner power that makes winners or losers. And
      the winners are the ones who really listen to the truth of their
      hearts. ~~ Sylvester Stallone

      Trusting our intuition often saves us from disaster.~~ Anne Wilson

      For wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can
      compare with her. ~~Proverbs 8:11

      * * *
      Tuck this thought away: Never in eternity will we want to walk up to
      Jesus and say, "I surely wish you had answered my prayer

      * * *
      Christmas Card Strategies:
      Don't throw away your Christmas cards this year - recycle them!
      Most people don't write on the backside of the cover anyway. Cut or
      tear off the picture and you have a postcard for next year.

      Make up an address list of your Christmas Card list. If you
      have a computer, this is even easier. Buy some labels and make up
      Christmas labels, or most printers will print each envelope,
      including your return address. If you receive a card from a new
      person, or make a new friend, just add them to your list and the
      hard part will all be done before Christmas. If you don't know how
      to make labels - ask your grandkids! Bet they can figure it out!

      * * *

      Sour Cream Taco Casserole

      1 lb ground Beef or gr. or chopped chicken or turkey
      2 medium Onions -- chopped
      28 ounces Tomatoes, low sodium -- canned, drained
      1 pkg taco seasoning or 2 1/2 T Taco Seasoning Mix
      12 medium Corn Tortillas -- (6" diameter)
      2 cups Co –Jack cheese (12 ounces)
      16 ounces Sour Cream, or imitation -- fat free,
      gelatin free
      1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt

      Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and warm over
      medium-high heat. Add the onions and meat and cook, stirring, for 5
      minutes, or until tender. Drain any fat.l Add the tomatoes and taco
      seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low,
      cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until
      well-blended. Remove from the heat. Preheat the oven to 325`.
      Lightly coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread a
      little of the tomato sauce mixture in the dish. Arrange 4 of the
      tortillas on top of the sauce, tearing them to fit. Top with one-
      third of the remaining sauce and one-third of the cheese.
      Repeat the layering two more times. In a small bowl, combine the
      sour cream and seasoned salt. Spread over the cheese to the edges of
      the dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until
      bubbly. Add any optional ingredients of your choice, such as
      olives, etc.!

      Keeping December Simple,

      Send in your favorite cookie recipe! We will post them in a file
      here on the web site!

      For an easy way to access this web site, click on the word "groups"
      on the Yahoo page. then click on "THE SIMPLE LIFE" under "my
      groups". If you can't find that copy and paste this

      to your web browser and click enter. Now you can access the files!
      I will be posting lots of recipes in the near future - so please
      send your favorites.

      Also send your suggestions for file topics such as "garden hints",
      Simple Decluttering, etc.

      Thanks for being a part of our "Simple LIfe" Family!