Summer in Bloom!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2012
      Hello All!

      Sorry I haven't written in a while, and I will give the usual response -
      I've been busy! But so have you. We are Americans, after all. We no
      longer have an ear to the ground, but an ear to our cell phones! But I
      hope you have a few moments to read my message.

      You probably want to know what I've been up to, and I hope to hear from
      many of you, as to how you have been as well! I've been going back to
      school and now have my associates degree in human service. Not that it's
      really a usable degree, as you might know, but it is a step in the right
      direction. I am way past half way to my bachelor's degree. And since my
      funding doesn't allow for summer school, I am taking a much needed
      vacation!

      It's not too late!!!

      If you have ever thought of going back to school - I will give you one
      piece of advice - GO!!!! I am absolutely having a blast!

      I am so much better equipped than many of the young students who are
      trying to ekk out an existance,, while caring for a few young children,
      and all the crazy busy stuff of life at a younger age. I am 53 years
      young and proud of it. Yes, there are times when I might have gone
      sooner, but this really ended up being the perfect timing for me.
      Whenever you decide to go "back to school" will be the perfect timing
      for you.

      My friend Rob, who is a young dad, is going 2 classes at a time. It will
      take him a while, but he absolutely loves it, and his long-range goal is
      in the field he loves. So he is really psyched about his future, even
      though it will be a while before he gets there.

      My friend Misty just earned her bachelor's degree, and her mission in
      life is working with foster kids, and finding them great homes. Her
      husband is her biggest supporter - and they have three of their own, as
      well as a couple foster kids of their own. But they have a very exciting
      and happy family. Some of their kids are handicapped, but they hardly
      notice as they breeze through the days of normal family life.

      Misty and Rob have one thing in common, as do many of the students and
      friends I have had the opportunity to get to know. They are having such
      a great time going to school, with their dream of a new career on the
      horizon, it doesn't even seem like work. Way to go! And, don't be afraid
      of being the only "oldster" in class. With the ecomony as it is, there
      are many of us seeking new careers, and there are lots of us who worry
      about wrinkles as well as grades. We don't worry about being almost
      retirement age when we graduate. It is so exciting to be accomplishing
      our goals, that we barely notice. The couple years that is has taken me
      to get to my associates degree, has gone by in a flash. And were would I
      be if I hadn't gone back to schoo? Still 53 years young, with NO degree!

      And so, here I am, with a great bunch of new experiences under my belt,
      and happier for it.

      ***

      Zucchini!!!

      If you aren't up to your eyeballs in Zucchini yet, you will be soon. I
      can't wait! I look forward to the small green fruits every years, as
      much as I love a BLT! We got a late start on the garden, as we probably
      will have while I am in school until June, but the garden doesn't
      notice. In fact, way up here in Michigan, it is probably happier to have
      soil above freezing when planted!

      So if you are just about to have crates and crates of zucchini, here are
      a few ideas:

      - you won't even notice if you swap zucchini for cukes in a relish, or
      pickle. The pickles, I've found are not quite as crunchy, but still very
      good. My hubby, Rich, eats them right from the jar!!! I am all out of
      relish, so I am looking forward to getting a few jars done. I use the
      relish for many summer salads, like potato or macaroni - those salads
      that are so good on a hot summer day when you don't feel like eating or
      cooking alot. - And, if you cook twice as much macaroni, just put half
      in the freezer for the next time and you won't have to fire up a burner!
      Just take the frozen macaroni out of the freezer in the morning, and by
      late afternoon, it will be ready for a salad.

      - for a healthy chip, dry slices of zucchini are excellent - as are many
      veggie chips. experiment and find your favs.

      diced, grated, or chopped, zucchini is a great addition to almost any
      soup or cake! so make your brownies or breads a bit more healthy.
      Muffins are a great way to use zucchini, and they make very nice moist
      muffins. Try blueberry zucchini muffins for breakfast tomorrow!

      Try this- julienne slices and a vinagrette or Italian dressing with some
      onion, dried cherries, diced radish, celery, and maybe a can of northern
      beans or chick peas. How that for a very easy and cool summer salad?

      Verse for the week:

      "Ask and it will be given t you; seek and you will find; kock and the
      door will be opened to you. ...Which of you, if his son asks for bread,
      will give him a stone? Or, if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?
      If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your
      children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to
      those who ask him! Matt. 7:7-12

      * * *

      Please write if you have a fav zucchini recipe, and tell me a fav family
      tradition you enjoy in the summer! I love hearing from you...

      Keeping it simple,