9-11

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19 10:24 AM

      9-11. No matter who I talk to, everyone knows exactly where they were at the time when we began to comprehend what was actually happening that fateful day. Even if we didn't lose a loved one, we were all affected by what happened that day. Anyone who has traveled through an airport knows exactly what I mean. America couldn't imagine anything like this. Now there are security measures nearly everywhere we go. The attack on our country did some things to all of us that even Al Qaeda probably didn't forsee.

      9-11 brought us together as Americans. This event united us as we should have always been. May our attitudes never again need a wakeup call. That is why we need to remember what happened that day. We need to tell our grandchildren and great grandchildren. We will never forget that we are vulnerable to forces of evil that seek to bring us down.

      We realized another thing, as well. There is no sane religion that would call for its members to destroy those they see as enemies. Just like the crusades of the middle ages, the warped idea of some sick individuals calling themselves Christians, Al Qaeda may call themselves Muslim, but do not represent the religion at all.

      The wake up call for us is to recognized who and what we really believe in. Paying attention to even the thoughts and ideas that can penetrate our schools, and teach our children.

      Is it really "out of style" to say the Pledge of Allegiance" every morning? How can we help our children to understand how hard our freedom is to come by, the sacrifices made by our servicemen and women who gave their lives and freedom for us? That saying a public prayer will never "go out of style".

      "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."~ John Quincy Adams

      * * *
      At a flea market there were some small hand pies for sale. I tried a berry pie that was very good. I also knew I could make some at home.
      Since our apples trees were loaded, I tried both apple and peach, as well as canning some applesauce. These apples are great fruit through the winter months. We can eat a jar a week. Very little if any sugar is needed for sweetening, and not added until we open the jar.

      The turnovers are cut from pie crust to a saucer size. Cut up fruit with a small amount of sugar, cinnamon, and maybe some nutmeg (for peach) is added with a tablespoon or so of flour and a pinch of salt. A couple tablespoons of filling is placed on the crust, folded in half and turn the edges up, or crimp with a fork. Bake for about 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Drizzle with powdered sugar and water.