Shake your snow globe!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2010

      Remember the first time you saw a snow globe? Maybe you've seen your grandkid see her first snow globe. They will sit for quite a while, just shaking it and laughing, making little blizzards that wind down to flurries. Then another shake and the snowstorm is back. They are so much fun.
      Driving home the other night, the snow was gently falling across my windshield. I was in my own snow globe! My snow globe is a little different, however. I can't shake up a blizzard, but I am pretty much in control of my world. There are some things I can not change, but I have a lot of choices.

      I am totally in charge of how much debt I have. I may be able to buy a house and pay $1000 a month, but over 30 years that is $12000. a year and 360,000. over 30 years. You are taking a risk that you won't get sick or lose your job in 30 years. Can you afford a new roof, or a transmission on your car? Don't let your bills make everything tight. Then you have to buy all the things that support that investment. Are you going to live there with no furniture?

      Sometimes we jump into these things, wanting the dream, without thinking it through. That may not be a 30 year payment, it may be a noose around your neck. Find something you can pay off quickly. Become an owner. Pay extra each month. Make it your goal to pay off your home in 10 years. While you are doing that, don't buy a new car, drive a good used one.

      Health is a choice. Many people are type 2 diabetic while, with a healthy diet, that can be controlled. Get exercise. Walk, run, join a gym. Find something like dancing or playing volleyball you like to do, that doesn't seem like exercise.

      Careful driving may save your life. There was an accident not long ago that was completely avoidable. Running a stop sign and being hit by a semi comes down to careful driving. Driving slow on icy roads may make a difference between a rollover and getting to work on time. Leave early, don't hurry.

      Who are your friends? Your best friends can make a difference. Do they drag you down, or encourage you to be the best you can be? Friends are an investment on your life. No matter who they are, they are teachers. They teach us things about life. Do you want to get by, or do you want to achieve? Are you subsisting or thriving?

      Be wise in your investments. A man bought small hay field near a town that he held on to for 20 years. It was near a thriving town, in a good location. He later sold it for 6 million dollars and there is a mall there, now. Pretty good investment.

      Attitude – people can tell themselves anything, and often they believe it. That is your life story. But if you lie to yourself, you only hurt yourself. Find out the truth. Tell yourself the truth! If you let yourself find truth, and you have a positive attitude, you really can't go wrong. Just because everyone else can see the emperor's clothes, doesn't mean you have to.

      "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

      "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."- Martha Washington

      Simple Carrots

      Great vitamins in these babies! Take some nice fresh carrots, scrub well. Slice and steam. Add a bit of butter or margarine. You can add a small amount of brown sugar, but probably won't need to. Yum!