Life or Death? Everything's a choice!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10 7:40 PM
      10-10 life and death

      Somehow, Native Americans found that beans, corn, and squash worked together in the garden to compliment each other. The beans put nitrogen back in the soil that the corn used up. The squash provided natural mulch that covered the ground and protected the moisture, reducing the need for watering. I'm sure they found many other great ways to plant crops that helped each other out.
      People aren't always so fortunate. We all have bullies in our lives. Instead of giving us a hand, they pull us down. Instead of wanting us to be happy, they actually want us to be more miserable than they are, (after all, there are no happy bullies). Rather than thanking us for what we do right, they go out of their way to show us what we do wrong. Funny. Humans are supposed to be the intelligent ones! Just ask any attorney. They see the silliest lawsuits. Each one could probably write a book. They probably see some of the worst of human behavior. We don't even know more than a plant how to enrich each other's lives?
      But, no matter how someone tried to put you down, you don't have to go. WE've all had some pretty bad pot shots taken at us, but we keep our chin up!
      Life goes one of two ways. There is no neutral. There is life or death. Everything in life is a move toward one or the other. We are kind, or not. We love, or not. We bless each other, or not.
      A friend said to me recently, "The more I get to know people, the more disappointed I am." What a sad commentary on human beings. We all have such a great capacity for love, and yet we choose to try to punish and hurt those we love. We could add color, but we spew hate. In our "modern" society, how can we have war? How can we think we are better than someone else? We all have different blessings, but no one is better than another.
      And yet, we all know people who are just fun and happy to be around. Rollie Mosher was one of those. I met a man named "Gus" from Leroy. He was 85, and his eyes sparked with misbehavior – but in a good way! He reminded me of my own grandfather. He told me about his wonderful wife. He'd been married over 60 years. Gus has seen hard times, to be sure. But that's not what he talked about. He told me of all the good things in his life, other than missing his wife. But even that doesn't stop him. Gus chooses the path of life, and gives a blessing to everyone he meets.
      Gus was the beans to me, the day I met him. He added nitrogen to my soil that day. I may never see him again, but I won't forget him.

      A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

      Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. ~Anthony J. D'Angelo

      There are exactly as many special occasions in life as we choose to celebrate. ~Robert Brault

      Simple Home-made Pita Bread
      1 pkg yeast, ½ c warm water, 3 c flour, 1 ¼ t salt, 1 t sugar, 1 c warm water Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy. Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Make a small depression in the middle of flour and pour yeast water in depression. Slowly add 1 cup of warm water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until elastic.

      Place dough on floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes. When the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and elastic, it has been successfully kneaded.
      Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all of the dough is coated. Allow to sit in a warm place for about 3 hours, or until it has doubled in size. Once doubled, roll out in a rope, and pinch off 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 deg F. and make sure rack is at the very bottom of oven. Be sure to also preheat your baking sheet. Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick. Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for 2 minutes. Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking. Take spatula and gently push down puff. Immediately place in storage bags.