Get Rid of Weeds!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010

      Get the weeds out!

      We ran the roto-tiller yesterday and the garden looks so good! But don't let that fool you. If you look close, and anyone with a garden knows just what I'm talking about, there are little pieces of grass and weeds that are just going to continue to grow, as soon as they get some moisture. That's just the way they are wired. Weeds know that their job is to protect the earth. They are programmed to protect the soil from wind erosion and provide a living mulch. So, simply chopping them up, is not going to get rid of the pesky little devils. Understanding why they do what they do, doesn't really make it any easier.
      Now that it looks good between the rows, take a little time and do some raking. I found one grass root that was nearly 2 feet long! Every little segment is just waiting for me to leave it alone long enough to put down roots and just take up where it left off. If I get really serious, I use a pitch-fork and lift the weeds to the surface. Dump them in the wheel-barrow and get them right out of the garden.
      Eventually, if they don't come in contact with earth, they will dry up and die.
      More weeds.
      People are like that, too. In some ways, if we are not alert, we will end up just like our parents, good and bad. Its incredible how often that happens.
      I was near a young woman who acts just like her mother. Her mother, has alot of anger, and daughter does too, by osmosis, seemingly. You know, everyone's biggest fear is that we will turn out just like our parents. Their mannerisms, habits, sayings. It is the rare parent who we really want to be like. That's how people learn, mainly, is through socialization. Who we are around, if often who we become like. Kind of like the duck who hatched out in the chicken house. He thought he was a chicken, and he acted like a chicken, but he was still a duck.
      Only if we are really awake, will we see those things in our parents that we like and discard those that we don't think are positive.
      Twin boys were born to alcoholic abusers. Incredible as it seems, by the time they were 9, they figured out is was safer to live on the streets. They managed to get by on their own. At age 13, they had split up, rarely keeping in touch but running into each other once or twice a year.
      20 years later, a twin study came along and found one brother. He was a successful doctor, with a beautiful and loving family. "How did you get to be the way you are?" was the question posed. "If you knew my family, I didn't have a choice." The other twin was located. He had not done so well. He was an alcoholic. He had a couple kids he didn't support. Same question was asked to him. His answer? "If you knew my family, I didn't have a choice."
      Twin brothers, same family, different outcomes. Actually, happens in most families. We all make choices. We are successful, or we give up trying. We choose who we are. Maybe we run the tiller over the rows once in a while. But the grass just comes back, thicker than ever.
      Our young people are graduating and stepping out into the world. They will get to college and lots if not most of their friends will be partying, and not studying. Their choice. We all have the option to eagerly learn all there is to know. In one of my classes recently we had to write a paper. Groans went up around the room. Me, I was just happy it wasn't Algebra! But you know what? I learned so much by reading the books I needed to for writing my paper! Maybe more than I learned in my whole class. Some of my friends party. They get by. Is that what kind of husband you want to marry? Some of them will get pregnant and get married, not because they want to, but they think they should and wake up one day very unhappy, because of a few careless moments at a party. Some will wake up with an STD. Some will just float through life, existing. Being blown around with every breath of breeze that hits them.
      But others will keep on track. They will do the work that needs to be done. Their friends will call them freaks. They will invite them to parties because no one wants to go to a party alone. But they will set their eyes on the goal and not look left or right. And they are the winners.
      I attended a lecture by Dr. Michael Trout (who used to live in Cadillac) who uses story telling to help children who have been through hard times. Can you imagine what kind of story you have in your mind when you have moved all over, slept through your parents parties, and not had a steady person in your life to even see that your diaper gets changed or you are fed when you are hungry? Just thinking about what kind of story our children will have in their minds gives one pause. Sad but true. Children need structure, tradition, safety, and security. Sure, upheaval happens, but they can still feel loved and secure.
      You've probably heard the poem "If a child lives with criticism, they learn to condemn. If a child lives with hostility, they learn to fight." Don't believe if for one second. You don't have to become what you were born into. Fly! Let your dreams take wing!
      What kind of story are you giving your kids?

      Cream of Asparagus Soup

      2T butter, 2 T flour, 2 c milk, ¾ pound asparagus, 1 t chicken bouillon

      Make the white sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, ½ t salt and 1/8 t pepper. Stir until smooth. Add milk; cook stirring constantly,
      Wash asparagus and cut in 1/2-inch pieces. Cook asparagus in a small amount of boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Add white sauce and chicken bouillon. Heat thoroughly; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add whole asparagus pieces and serve.
      Serves 4 to 6.