Substance Abuse and the Family, breakfast sandwiches

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2010

      I grew up in a house where drugs and alcohol were nearly non-existent. But that doesn't mean I was unaffected. I had a grandparent who was a Demerol addict, and that has affected us for 3 generations, now, going on 4. If you don't think family patterns are not changed by substance abuse, I invite you to sit down with me while I tell you about the numerous stories I heard from classmates in a Substance Abuse class I just finished. Our professor, Dr. Derror did a great job presenting the issues. He is also a psychologist in prisons, and has worked in almost every venue dealing with psychology in over 20 years. Over 80% of prisoners report being on some kind of drug when their crime took place. Our class discussions could get quite lively. We all have someone in our lives that has affected us in many ways. I doubt there is an American who has not been touched by drug abuse in some way.
      Classmates told stories of growing up in families that were slaves to drug or alcohol abuse. Make no mistake, substance abuse doesn't affect just the user, but the whole family. Violence and abuse escalate. Then there is the irreparable damage of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and other permanent damage done by drug abuse to a defenseless unborn baby – but completely preventable!
      People abuse drugs for one of four main reasons: to escape problems, to enhance an activity, to be part of a group, or to alter their state of mind. It makes me wonder why anyone from the best country in the world, would need to use drugs with all the great activities and privileges we have.
      Here are some of the things my classmates had to say:
      I know two meth addicts. Meth has ruined their lives. Not only have they destroyed their health, they also lost their house and their vehicles. ~ Amy

      There has been no greater substantial enemy to the American society than that of the Drug Culture. There are several different explanations as to why drugs have infused itself into the vastness of the American culture, one theory is that drug use is a learned behavior. Many experts have concluded that many forms of drug addictions are more like a chronic disease in which "it cannot be fixed or cured in a single round of therapy, with a single surgical procedure or one regimen of pharmaceuticals" (Califano Jr., p. 165). Randi Mehling (2008) author of Methamphetamine stated that "the effects of large and frequent amounts of amphetamines and methamphetamine…included aggressive, violent, and paranoid behavior as well as a tendency to lose the very basic human emotions of sympathy and compassion" (p. 14)~Matt

      My dad used to sit at the kitchen table on Friday night and count all his paycheck. He made a lot of money. But by Monday, we were lucky to have food and gas money for the week. When I think of all the money he threw away… He never even had money for Christmas presents.~Rick

      Even moderate alcohol intake can damage the liver. There are some natural remedies to keep your liver functioning normally - Beets are a good food to eat to help the liver heal and work more efficiently. Also, other foods such as pears, carrots, apples, and dandelion roots are good also. Drinking lots of vegetable juices is great because they help to rebuild white bloods cells that have been broken down and lost with drinking alcohol.~Andrea

      Parents should be a role model for their kids, not preaching don't do this and don't do that, but yet turn around and do exactly what you tell them not to do. Do not let your kids go and do whatever they want. Know what they are doing at all times, know who they are hanging out with, and where they are. All you have to do is talk to them, and show them that you care.~Amanda

      Some states that they have made it so a woman who uses drugs while pregnant gets charged with child abuse. Texas made smoking marijuana while pregnant a sentence to prison from 2-20 years.~Ashley

      Nearly four percent of pregnant women in the United States use illicit drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, and other amphetamines.~Crystal

      I am a recovering alcoholic. I have been sober for 2 years and 7 months. I think back to what my kids had to see, but I am focusing on the future. When I decided to get sober, my family was my reason for surviving. I will never forgive myself for putting my kids through what I did, but I won't ever hurt them like that again.~Michelle
      The reason Meth is so addictive is because of the way it affects the brain. It boosts the amount released of a neurotransmitter called dopamine. This feeling is something most individuals just want to experience over and over again and addiction happens very fast. Most people are reluctant to stop using Meth even after only trying the powerful drug just once. ~Stacy

      An important thing to know about LSD is that a person can have a flash back after they have used the drugs in the past.~Stacy
      I learned that you can't help an alcoholic unless they want to be helped.~Amy

      I learned a lot about meth and its effects on the body. It was amazing to find out that brain receptors take 1 year or more to grow back after Meth abuse has stopped, and until they do the user will not feel pleasure. Meth also affects the community with crime waves of property thefts, vehicle and identification theft as well as populating jails and hospitals.~Thomas

      I agree with Matt, that drug abuse is, for the most part learned behavior. We need to help our kids learn that drugs are not good for families. Have some discussions with your kids this week about how drugs can affect your family, friends and community.

      Fast Food at Home
      If you find yourself stopping for breakfast sandwiches from fast food
      restaurants,here a way to make them for a lot less money and they are
      healthier too! Whisk 12 eggs, a little bit of milk, and whatever seasonings you like (i.e. red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onions, etc). Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Cut into 12 squares. Put the egg squares on toasted English muffins, bagels, biscuits, etc. Cook thin sausage patties or thin slice ham. Add cheese if you like and you have a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner! You can make 12 at a time and freeze some of them so they are ready to go. Try this on spring break with the kids.

      Almost all of our sorrows spring out of our relations with other people. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

      As sure as the spring will follow the winter, prosperity and economic growth will follow recession. ~Bo Bennett