Happy Valentines Day!!!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2010

      Spring is only weeks away! How do I know this? Well, all the seed displays are out already! And, patio furniture is soon to follow. Won't be any time at all and we be enjoying spring rains. Another 6 weeks and we will be on the downhill slope of winter. Wood stoves and heaters are already on clearance.

      Speaking of gardeningÂ…A friend Ken at work told a story of his garden. He and his wife always had a big garden and they had four kids. They lived on a road that got a lot of traffic by a lake during vacation time. The kids put up a farm stand, and could keep the money from the extra veggies and fruit for spending money. They always made sure to be open on Friday and Sunday afternoons to catch the local vacationers up or down.

      Now that their family is all grown and gone, they still put in a garden. This year Ken planted a big pumpkin patch. He took a huge load of pumpkins down to his grandkids' neighborhoods and let the local kids come and pick out a pumpkin. It saved his grandkids pumpkins from getting smashed, he thought!

      Another family I heard of planted a huge field of asparagus. The kids would go out in the spring and early summer to harvest. This field put all four kids through college.

      Maybe you only have a small plot in town, you can can or freeze to save money, or maybe you can make a few dollars selling to neighbors. Or just put a shaded table by the road and a "honor" jar. People who don't have time to plant their own, love to buy home-grown!

      Special Occasions Ideas

      A friend's husband used to have flowers delivered for all kinds of occasions. She loved getting the flowers, but she also saw the dollar signs going down the drain when they died and she had to throw them out. But (how do you tell your hubby you don't like his presents?) when she explained how she felt, he came up with the perfect solution! (Smart man!) He was happy to find a few artificial arrangements, and she was also happy to receive them, whenever those special occasions arose. He was able to alternate them, for instance, the dozen silk roses were his favorites for Valentines Day. But the pink silk roses were the ones she especially enjoyed for her birthday.

      Another idea might be to buy a plant for your yard that will never die. You could keep a journal for all the special occasions and what each plant meant at the time. Sometimes a family plants a tree for each child who is born, etc. I know the pines that I planted for my children grow higher each year.

      "Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings." Elie Weisel

      "We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope." Martin Luther King

      "Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going." --Rick Dunkle

      "The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests." Epictetus

      Valentine's Strawberry Shortcake

      Why wait for Summer to celebrate with shortcake? Use your favorite biscuit mix, but add a couple Tablespoons sugar (per 2 cups flour) to make a sweeter biscuit. Bake ahead. Thaw out some strawberries that you froze last summer, or wash, rinse and sweeten with sugar or Splenda some fresh berries. When time for your surprise dessert, cut open the warm biscuits, scoop a nice big scoop of ice cream on the biscuit, and cover with sweetened berries. Top with whipped topping, and for a real Valentine's treat, a drizzle of dark chocolate! Yum!