YAHOO! A new year!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2009
      Happy New Years, 2010!

      This has been a tough year for many of us. We've had to dig deep to find resources we would have thought would have destroyed us. Even people who lost nearly everything they owned this past year are finding their true worth. It's amazing. If asked "What would you do if you lost your wealth or your home, or your family? They simply shrugged, thinking it impossible. But then the unthinkable happened. They lost the best job of their life, they lost their good health, someone made-off with their money, or maybe they had a death or divorce in the family, but they found strength they never new they had. I've met amazing people this year! And, I even amazed myself!

      A friend of mine decided to go back to school. Basic math was on her menu. She looked through the book and thought, how hard can it be? It looked easy. But half way through, she felt up to her eyeballs in math that was very hard! She felt like giving up. But one day after hours and hours of studying, she just decided she wasn't going to fail. She would study however many hours it took to pass the class – until she "got it". One chapter at a time, she kept on going.

      Finally she got to the hardest chapter. Her test was coming up. She couldn't even get enough points to pass the practice test! She took a break and when she came back to it later, she found some of the hardest problems in the book and studied them for a few minutes, then took the practice test again. She passed with flying colors. Somewhere through all the studying, she mastered it. She realized it was fun! A new challenge she'd faced and beat. She ended up getting an A- in the class. And she made the Dean's list! She was thankful for the class that taught her more than math.

      A family lost all their 6 children in a tragic car accident. Narrowly escaping themselves, the parents watched as their sweet innocent children died. They somehow face the fog of the next few days. Friends and family rallied around them. How could they go on? They did. One day at a time. They realized that their children had been a gift, taken too soon, but still a gift while they were alive.

      They began adopting children, to be a gift to the children. They would never forget their own children, but they could go on and make a difference.

      A man was losing his farm. It had been in his family for generations. He took a gun to the barn, but just couldn't leave the family that depended on him for strength. He decided to turn things around.

      They moved. He and his wife got part-time jobs to make ends meet. They both, slowly earned degrees and became teachers. They look back at the farm with love, but realize everything happens for a reason. Their children grew up happy and healthy.

      A woman unbelievably lost her children through a divorce. She barely got to see them. Her worst fear came true. "How does this happen in America?" she asked. How could a man who promised to love, honor and cherish, take her children just to hurt her? But she realized she was not defined by being a mother. She was still a person with much to give. She still loved her kids, and no one could take that away. She realized he had always tried to control her, by making her feel bad about herself. And, if she let her ex. destroy her, she'd be letting him win. He was the loser, and her kids were victims, too.

      But she went on to become a foster mom to many children. They sort of saved each other. And, through her studies, she realized this kind of thing happens all the time. She became a helper to other parents who'd lost their children. She turned her life into an adventure, not letting the experience define her.

      I have met so many people this year who are doing just that! They have hit bottom and come back punching. They turned adversity into opportunity. We are probably not human if we haven't hit a hard time. It's what we do with it that makes the difference. Never, never, never give up!

      It's a new year – a new decade. How will you let this year define you, or will you take the challenge and make this year a new and great start? You are never too old! Welcome to your life!

      * * *
      Courage is like a muscle. We strengthen it with use.~~ Ruth Gordon
      Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin.~~ Grace Hansen
      Each day is a new canvas to paint upon. Make sure your picture is full of life and happiness, and at the end of the day you don't look at it and wish you had painted something different.~~ Author Unknown

      Simple New Year's Party
      Why not start out the new year with a healthy party? There are lots of recipes for healthy eating, that actually taste good. How about a veggie tray with low-fat dip? Fruit to dip with cool whip. Baked potato bar with healthy toppings. Do a google search of healthy recipes and find your own favorite ideas. Don't give up flavor, just lose the calories. Then make this a habit for the whole year!

      Keeping it simple in 2010!
      Sheryl

      e-mail me at thesimplelife@..., and let me know how you are keeping it simple this year, or how you've turned your life around.