Tribute to DV Survivors

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2009
      Do you care?
      What if I had cancer? Or a drinking problem?
      I know you would care if I was recuperating from an accident or fall.
      But because I am a survivor of domestic violence you look the other way.
      You do not want to get involved.
      You heard my husband yell at me
      and yet you cross to the other side of the street.
      It is easier to blame me for our `broken family'.
      Because you are my friend, if I had cancer
      You would help me research all the latest
      treatments. You would put me on your prayer chain,
      and come with casseroles and offer to sit with the kids.
      But you cannot see the bruises on the inside.
      How I trusted and was hurt.
      You think me stupid to have gotten into that situation.
      I think I'm stupid, too.
      I am worse than parasite, to you.
      Since you don't understand, you stay away,
      You don't bother to try to understand,
      I was once just like you.
      I loved a man, who I thought loved me.
      But he didn't.
      I had to leave, before he hurt me worse,
      Or hurt the kids.
      They don't understand, either. He's their dad.
      They want a dad, like other kids. A dad who cares.
      I just wanted the white picket fence,
      And a normal life and family
      But what I got was sarcasm and contempt.
      I was threatened and lived in fear.
      I was told to "clean the house better"
      Or "cook better" and your man will love you.
      But no matter how hard I tried, it didn't work.
      They say when you keep trying and trying
      And hope for different results,it is insanity.
      I left insanity behind, for a new life.
      Maybe you think you are smarter than me,
      Because it didn't happen to you.
      Or maybe you just don't know what to say.
      All I need is a hug. And a little understanding.
      It's never too late to start over.
      I'll be fine.

      A Tribute to All Survivors of Domestic Violence
      Oct. 29, 2009

      Do you know where your local shelter is? Are you on their mailing list? Have you thought of volunteering? Find out. Go in for a visit and get information on what to do when you see someone who is abused. I saw a man yelling at his wife in a local parking lot. That is abuse! Find out how to help your friends and neighbors in this situation. The statistics are shocking.

      There are lots of web sites with info about DV. You never know what you can do to help. Maybe just offering a listening ear!