Two Brothers

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2009

      Yesterday I did a double take. I saw a man who looks just like his brother. He doesn't know me, but I know who he is. I've known who these brothers are for many years. But I heard a sad story about these brothers. One brother has not spoken to his brother for many years. In fact, its been so many years that the person who told me this didn't even know why. Something in the past happened to cause a rift between these otherwise successful, nice and caring men. Every time I see one of them, I feel sad. What would cause such a terrible problem between two men? Since neither are criminals that I know of, I can't imagine what would cause such a problem? That leads me to believe it probably has something to do with shoes. Someone has not been willing to see things the way the other sees things. It is merely a difference of opinion. Someone has not walked in the other's shoes for a day.
      Why would you not talk to your brother for years because of a pair of shoes? The holidays are coming up. I hope both these brothers can spend time together. I bet they would be great friends. Maybe they could do some hunting or fishing together. I know deep inside, they love each other. What's the worst that could happen if one calls the other? They might hang up the phone. They might get angry. Or they just might have a conversation. These men are way too nice not to get along. At least one of them has not thought this all the way through.
      We all have difficult people in our lives. A friend of mine called her brother to see if they couldn't be friends. She left a message and he never returned her call. She sees them both getting older and why not be friends? Families are funny things. But the way I see it, it just comes down to a matter of shoes. Would you give up a chance at a good friendship over a pair of shoes? I know both parties think they are right about whatever it was that they disagreed on. But that was years ago. Time is ticking away. Don't give up on a friend just because you'd rather be right. Make the call. There may be a great friendship right around the corner!
      * * *

      When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons! What else you got?"
      ~Henry Rollins

      It's never too late- in fiction or in life- to revise. ~ Nancy Thayer

      For all the sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: it might have been. John Greenleaf Whittier

      Simple Oatmeal Cookies

      3/4 cup shortening (I use butter flavor)
      1 cup brown sugar
      1/2 cup granulated sugar
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      1 egg
      1/4 cup water
      1 cup flour
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1 teaspoon salt
      3 cups oatmeal

      Cream shortening and sugars. Add vanilla, egg and water. Mix dry ingredients and add to butter/sugar mix. Add oatmeal and mix it in. Drop balls onto greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

      Easy, Cheap Baby Food
      Before you buy all those cute baby food jars, if you eat healthy, the baby can eat whatever you are eating. All you need is a blender, or a small baby food grinder, made for that purpose. You can even freeze larger amounts in ice cube trays, and then pop out to put in a zip lock bag. There is usually a starch, protein and vegetable in each dinner jar. Or there are simple ground up fruits or vegetables. You can grind them right at the table, or beforehand. Don't waist those precious dollars when you don't need too!

      Keeping it simple,