Watch for Eagles!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009

      Two bald eagles lifted off and circled just feet from our car. We had to stop and admire their grace and majesty. No small thing to be thankful for. There is beauty all around us. Would I trade that moment for a million dollars? Or what about my job, and all my good friends? There are a lot of things I wouldn't trade for a million dollars. These are the things I am thankful for every day. The sweet taste of a fresh ear of corn, right off the stalk. Two children giggling. A newborn calf. The sight of a bluebird winging through the backyard to drop a worm to her babies. The tiny dewdrops on a spider web in the garden. A sweet hug from a friend. You know what I'm talking about. They may be simple things, but they are worth more than any amount of money.

      I hope you know what I mean. Some people would never notice. For them, its just one day after another. They can't see all the goodness through their sneer. They haven't learned one simple fact. Even your worst day, is a good day. It's a chance to learn, to grow. Each breath is a miracle, Every moment a wonder. If you notice.

      A friend was telling me his girlfriend is always complaining about something. I suppose there would be something to complain about, if we chose to. But why? Hanging on to bitterness, anger, or finding fault is a choice. Finding joy is like opening the windows on a warm spring day, to let the fresh air in. A simple matter of choice.

      Watch for the eagles. Or the bluebirds, or a chance to have a good laugh!

      * * *
      Simple Pantry by Color

      A friend once was given an old homemaking tip book. The most important tip in it was about arranging a pantry by color. Most of the pantry can be arranged this way. Even a kindergardener can find something. If I need something I don't use often, say beets, I look in the red section. Some things don't fit, like soup, so they are arranged by category, but peanut butter is in the brown section, and the strawberry jam and ketchup are in the red section.

      Simple KFC Coleslaw Dressing

      1 c Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (don't substitute any other kind it will not taste the same, 1 c sugar, 1/4 c oil, 1/4 c vinegar

      Mix together and add to your shredded coleslaw. Options: if you don't want it so sweet do only 1/4 cup of sugar. Use Balsamic Vinegar or Cider Vinegar. Add Sweet onion to it or Wala Wala Onion or a T finely grated green pepper and carrot. If you are making a lot of coleslaw you might want to double this recipe. This will keep in the fridge for up to a month.
      I found this recipe, and I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a good one!
      Simple Date Delights

      2 stacks Ritz crackers, 1 c Eagle Brand milk, 8 oz. chopped dates, 1 c chopped pecans

      Cook dates, Eagle Brand milk, and pecans until thick (like peanut butter). Cool. Spoon onto crackers. Bake at 375` for 5 minutes. Cool. Put a dab of sour cream frosting on top.