simple reunion dessert

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2009

      Right before the annual family reunion, I'd mentioned to my husband Ricky that I'd love to see my cousin Bob, who has lived in California for the past 30 years. I'd only seen him 3 times since. When we arrived, everyone was in the food line already, and I almost dropped my plate. There was Bob. It's so good to see and old friend again! Unfortunately the reason for his trip was to visit his father whose health is not well at this time. Good and bad all lumped into one. Later we took a walk back to the lake, as we had years past. I remember as kids a whole group of us walking along the same path, Bob carrying grandpa's shotgun because it was Thanksgiving and hunting season. But of course a group of silly kids making all kinds of noise in the forest are not going to see a squirrel, let alone a deer. But we were having fun laughing and walking through the woods. 30 years later it was great to walk again, just like old times and get caught up on our kids, and what's happening in California and Michigan, and politics, of course. Funny how things change, and yet stay the same.

      Later we had family prayer for my uncle, and it was heart warming to see how our family has many, many times, through the years gone to God in prayer through hard times. And there is the assurance that even when this life is over, there will be a reunion that will never end, that will transcend time and space.

      Another bonus to a family reunion was the food! We certainly outdid ourselves this year, with all the family favorites, and plenty, but with so many teenagers, they can put a dent in the buffet table! As usual, the kids played football in the rain, just as always.

      But the greatest part of the family reunions, are the memories. I wonder who my kids will remember, and I want to pass those good memories on to them. They will never know the aunts, uncles, and grandparents who have passed on, but who gave such a firm foundation to our family. But I can write down the best stories I remember in a scrapbook for them, to pass along. That is the fun part, to me, collecting all the stories from aunts and uncles from, as far back as we can. There are hundreds of stories of hunting trips, love stories, camping trips, and, of course, tragedies. But they all make up the history of our family.

      * * *
      In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future~~ Alex Haley

      In each family a story is playing itself out, and each family's story embodies its hope and despair. ~~Auguste Napier

      Simple Family-Reunion Strawberry-Pretzel Jell-O

      1 1/2 c pretzels, crushed fine (food processor works well)
      1 stick butter, melted
      1 T sugar
      8 oz. cream cheese, softened
      1 (8oz.) carton frozen whipped topping
      1 c sugar
      2 (3oz. each) packages strawberry gelatin
      2 c boiling water
      1 (16 oz.) pkg. strawberries, sliced

      Mix pretzels, butter and sugar together. Pat into bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; cool completely. Mix together cream cheese, slightly thawed whipped topping and sugar, beating until creamy. Spread over crust; chill. Mix together gelatin and water, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Add strawberries. Gently pour over cream cheese layer. Chill until set.