simple things to notice - Simplest Cobbler Recipe!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2009

      No matter where we go in Michigan, I can't help feeling, well, fortunate. We live in such a beautiful state. All the great lakes with in a stone's throw. The vistas from every hill. The green fertile fields. Wildlife, flora and fauna from dark woods to open fields. There is beauty all around. Even when the state of our economy leaves a lot to be desired, we can all feel blessed to be here. It doesn't have to cost anything to take a walk down the road or in the woods. Or go for a bike ride on the Rails-to-Trails, or a street in any small town. Or how about the food in the small local diners and coffee shops? One of my favorite memories, when I used to work on a local dairy farm, was raking hay. With the sun on your back, a warm breeze and blue skies; what more could a person ask? After all, it really is noticing the simple things that bring us real enjoyment.

      The other day I saw something swooping around the back yard. I looked to see what it was, and there were a half dozen colorful butterflies just flitting around from flower to flower, enjoying the sun after a quick shower, as if they were drying their wings off. A little thing that could have gone unnoticed. We can't possible notice everything, but we can try not to miss most of the moments.

      My friend calls herself the protector of the Hummingbird moth. Do you know where the Hummingbird moth comes from? Tomato hornworms! She grows one extra tomato plant each year and when she finds a tomato worm, she just moves it to their own private plant to hang out, happily munching away until they do whatever it is they do to turn into a moth. And they are beautiful! She noticed. And she came up with an idea to coexist with nature and not destroy it. She has done this for years and they haven't taken over her garden.

      Another friend never cuts down any milkweed. Those are for the Monarch butterflies that he welcomes to his yard. And milkweed has a beautiful fragrance, have you noticed?

      My daughter was reminiscing with me a few months ago. "Mom, remember when you took us out under the apple tree for our naps when we were little? We woke up and there was a doe and fawn only a few feet away?" No, I didn't remember, but I'm glad she did. I do remember them playing for hours in the barn with the kittens. Simple things. Nothing special? Will kids sitting in front of a video game think what a wonderful memory they are making someday? Not likely.

      So sit by that campfire in the backyard and swap stories from long ago. Or just listen to the sparks snap and the frogs croaking and remember all the great memories you do have from a northern Michigan summer.

      * * *
      Super Simple Cobbler

      1 cup flour
      1 cup sugar
      1 cup milk
      1/2 cup butter
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1 can fruit pie filling (any kind of fruit)

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish. In
      large bowl, combine flour, sugar, milk, butter and baking
      powder; mix well. Pour mixture into baking dish and spread
      evenly. Pour fruit pie filling over top and bake for 30 minutes
      or until top is brown and almost crisp.
      * * *

      Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint, and the soil and sky as canvas. ~~ Elizabeth Murray

      A garden is evidence of faith. It links us with all the misty figures of the past who also planted and were nourished by the fruits of their planting.~~ Gladys Taber

      Of all the wonderful things in the wonderful universe of God, nothing seems to me more surprising than the planting of a seed in the blank earth and the result thereof.~~Julie Messervy