Rich or Wealthy???

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18 6:34 AM

      I know some rich people, and then I know some wealthy people. The wealthy people are the ones who go to the garden each day. They pull a few weeds. They see the dew drops on the plants. They pull the radishes fresh from the dirt to wash off for lunch or for a salad. They slice the cucumbers and onions for a fresh cucumber salad. They snap the corn right off the stalk to dunk In the boiling water, or take a few bites to taste that fresh from the garden freshness. They put that freshness in their own jars or freezers. Pickled beets, pickles, dill veggies, green beans. This is wealth. To put your own fingers in the dirt to plant the seeds. To eat chemical free vegetables that you really know where they came from. The kids and grandkids love to come over and pick strawberries fresh from the rows.
      Excitement is putting your hoe away while the sun goes down and sit on the swing for a spell, knowing that all the plants are watered for another day. How about opening a jar of fresh tomatoes in January for a pot of warm chili. On a real homestead the pork or beef in the freezer is just as organic as the eggs in the fridge that were plucked warm from the nest box this morning. No, we can't do it all. Everything is a choice. But having a potted tomato on the deck, or a hanging basket with a cucumber or a pepper plant are easy choices that involve nothing more than a daily drink of water and a little compost occasionally.
      It's not that hard, and if you have the time, or make the time, it really is rewarding. Especially when the kids say, "Mom, can I have my own strawberry plant?" Or taking a bite of that first strawberry shortcake of the year. But maybe opening a jar of fresh jam for a home-made piping hot biscuit in March while the snow is still melting and the fields are waiting to be planted really is true wealth.

      * * *
      Blueberry Salsa
      2 c. clean blueberries
      ½ onion diced small
      2 Jalepenos
      1 red bell pepper, diced
      3 T. cilantro
      ¼ c. Lime juice
      1 t. kosher salt
      Coarsely chop 1 1/2 cups blueberries. In a bowl, combine the chopped and whole berries and the remaining ingredients. Let stand 1 hour. Serve with crispy tortilla chips, pita chips or crackers and cream cheese.

      Keeping it simple,