Finding Summer the Simple Way!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2009

      Rain, rain go away. It's all or none here in Michigan right now. The nice part is that we aren't hauling out the hoses to get the garden watered. The corn is growing like a weed. But what can you do in the garden when it rains for days in a row? If you have some seeds you need to get planted, you can always start them indoors. Here in Michigan it might make a difference, with late frosts and early frosts in the fall. Many seeds can get sprouted and then planted when they are tiny, just to give them a start.
      You can also work on hanging baskets. We put together 5 upside down tomato and pepper baskets, 3 have flowers planted on top and two are in upside down 2 liter bottles with holes in the top/side for watering. They are painted green to keep direct light off the roots. It is fun just having an experiment to see if they will produce fruit sooner than tomatoes/peppers in the ground. Or if they will produce more veggies than usual.

      You Haven't Noticed Summer Yet if…

      1. The air-conditioner is so loud you can't hear the birds singing early in the morning from your bedroom window.
      2. You haven't noticed a hummingbird fly right past you while eating breakfast on the deck.
      3. You haven't helped one of the kids (or grandkids) find a stick for roasting a marshmallow on
      4. Speaking of marshmallows, have you made your first S'more yet, with a creamy light brown marshmallow melting the chocolate Hershey bar into the graham cracker?
      5. You haven't stood outdoors with a grandchild – braving the mosquitoes – long enough to watch the first stars come out and listen to them say – "Look! There's another one!"
      6. You haven't woke up with a slight little kink in your back from sleeping in the tent and been glad you did.
      7. You haven't been delighted to discover some baby Foxglove seedlings peeking out from behind the fading Forget-me-nots in the garden.
      8. You haven't gone for a swim in the local pond, or even stuck in your big toe yet!
      9. You haven't bent to pick a wild strawberry from the field and let the wild-berry taste remind you of the strawberries you used to find when you were a kid.
      10. You are still eating meals in the kitchen because its too much work to carry everything outside.
      What's on your list for summer? Have you noticed? It's here !!! Don't let summer sneak by without experiencing your favorites.

      Simple Summer Dessert

      Cool whip, chopped apple (with skins on for more fiber), banana, fruit cocktail and a few marshmallows, or any combination that is in season. Orange slices, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, pineapple chunks??? Your call! You can even toss in a bit of coconut. Now that's a cool yummy dessert you don't have to feel guilty about. You can even have seconds!

      Gratitude creates the most wonderful feeling. It can resolve disputes. It can strengthen friendships. And it makes us better men and women. ~~Gordon B. Hinckley

      There are no problems we cannot solve together, and very few we can solve by ourselves. ~~Lyndon B. Johnson