Is it Spring Yet?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2009

      Every Spring about this time of year, things begin to get interesting. Ice is melting on the lakes. Birds are returning in droves. Robins, Sand Hill Cranes, Red-Winged Blackbirds, and yesterday, we saw a swan paddling around the edges of Grand Traverse Bay!
      Grass is beginning to turn green, and I even saw the pink tips of my Rhubarb plants peeking from the ground. Daffodils are up several inches and buds are swelling in anticipation of increasingly warmer temps. Every day the sun shines is a good day.
      I love to walk around my yard and welcome back my plants. They faithfully come back year after year to bloom at their scheduled time. Last year was a hard winter and the deer and rabbits sampled way too much of their share. This year I took preventative action. Some of my shrubs must be tired of starting over every year.
      I bought some leftover linoleum at a yard sale. Cut to form a tube and with a drywall screw at the top and bottom, these tubes were cheap, and held up through cold and snow. But what about the tops that stuck out of the tubes? Can't the deer still nibble? No. Not unless they get VERY bold. I bought some 60" material at Walmart that was only $1. a yard. I made a bag for each special small tree that looks similar in shape to a pillow case. Then, after fitting them over each bush, I secured them with a wire tie. They are still there, waiting to be removed, and no loss to the winter-feeders. Finally an answer we can all live with!
      This week, in the 40's, I look forward to my yard walk. I have some raking to do. After a long winter, what would I do without my plants to welcome spring back? At least once a week it is so much fun to explore the new sprouts.
      There are a few plants I will be getting started indoors. If you want to try some seeds indoors, plant your seeds in potting soil. You can keep them in a dark warm place, covered with plastic, until you see a sprout. Immediately take off the cover or they can start to rot. Put them under lights, or in a bright window. Feed with ½ strength fertilizer until you are ready to plant outdoors. Putting a gentle fan on them each day is a good idea, as well, to make them stronger. That is why large greenhouses often have fans going. Acclimatize them before planting them directly outside, by putting them in shade and out of harsh winds for a few days.
      Then start putting the in the sun for a couple hours. Your plants will hardly know you moved them!

      Simple Oatmeal Muffins

      mix together and let set for a few minutes
      1 c oats
      1 c milk
      Add in egg and oil. Add dry ingredients.
      1 c. flour
      1/3 c. sugar
      3 t baking powder
      ½ t salt