Simple Deep Fried Mushrooms and a Snowy Evening

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2009

      It was 3:55 am. Looking toward the window, it was nearly
      daylight out. My first thought was that I'd left the back porch
      light on. I got up and walked from window to window marveling at the
      diamonds that sparkled in the snow. There's nothing so beautiful as
      a full moon on a snowy winter's night.

      Wild rabbit paths crisscross the otherwise unbroken snow. The
      tall blue spruce we planted in the back yard is dipped in globs of
      glistening frosting. I decide to go for a walk. Even the 3 degrees
      doesn't deter me, since the wind is perfectly quiet. It's crisp in
      the fairy land of snow and ice.

      I hoped to hear the coyotes eerie howling across the frozen
      expanse of fields and forest that surround our farmhouse, but they
      are quiet tonight. Only our golden retriever and I are moving about
      in the stillness. She probably wonders why I am here since I usually
      don't accompany her on her occasional trips out of doors in the
      middle of the night. I wonder if she notices the incredible silent
      beauty surrounding our crunchy steps. A rabbit shoots out from the
      shadows and the dog gives chase.

      A beauty such as this has one wondering of the master who
      creates such an artwork. "Art" is not a big enough word for what I am
      witnessing. Creation is the only word I can come up with. And if
      this is a creation, is there not a creator?
      The phrase, "Pure as the driven snow" and, of course the Robert Frost
      poem that has always captured my heart, "Stopping by the Woods on a
      Snowy Evening". But tonight, I don't want to think of ways to
      describe this adventure. I only want to witness the tantalizing
      phenomenon of a full moon in January.

      My gaze fell on the frost clinging to the delicate branches of
      my favorite serviceberry. There were shadows cast from branches like
      thousands of spiderwebs and millions of stars taking a turn to shine.
      The same stars that guided the ships that brought my ancestors to
      these lands?

      The bitter cold seeped into my coat. I took a last look
      around. It was an early morning walk I'm glad I didn't miss.

      * * *
      We make our world by the life we lead,
      By the friends we have, by the books we read,
      By the pity we show in the hour of care,
      By the loads we lift and the love we share.
      ~Alfred Grant Walton

      There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you....
      In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open season on each
      other; only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet
      stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself. ~Ruth Stout

      One of my current pet theories is that the winter is a kind of
      evangelist, more subtle than Billy Graham, of course, but of the same
      stuff. ~Shirley Ann Grau
      * * *
      Deep Fried Mushrooms

      Heat oil in a pot or deep fryer to 350`. Wash mushrooms, and cut in
      half, if desired. Mix up some thin pancake batter. You can add some
      corn meal or bread crumbs and any seasoning you desire. Drop
      mushrooms, several at a time into oil until light golden brown. You
      can try onions and other veggies, too.

      How about letting two of your best friends know about this
      newsletter, and sending me an e-mail if you have a simple life
      question! I love hearing from you, about your weather, and your
      gardens, and your kids! Thanks to all who write.

      columns: