keeping it simple in 2009
- The Simple Life
By Sheryl Simons
New Years Reminder, "Never borrow from the future. If you worry
may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain.
Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice."
Key to the Simple Life - "Contentment is not the fulfillment of
what you want, but the realization of how much you already have."
25 Ways to "Keep it Simple" in the New Year
1. Go to bed on time and get up early to avoid a rush.
2. Say no to projects that keep your family too busy, or offer to do
a small part.
3. Delegate tasks when possible. Even our kids feel important when
they are "needed".
4. Simplify and unclutter your life. Less is more..
5. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places. But don't
sweat the small stuff. Arriving a little late is not the end of the
6. Take one day at a time.
7. Separate worries from concerns. If a situation is a concern, find
out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety. If you can't
do anything about a situation, don't dwell on it.
8. Live within your budget; don't use credit cards for ordinary
9. Have backups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house key
buried in the garden, extra stamps, etc. A simple meal to prepare
for unexpected guests.
10. K.M.S. (Keep Mouth Shut). This single piece of advice can prevent
an enormous amount of trouble.
11. Do something for the kid in you everyday.
12. Eat right.
13. Get organized so everything has its place.
14. Listen to a tape while driving that can help improve your quality
15. Write down thoughts and inspirations.
16. Every day, find time to be alone.
17. Choose your friends wisely. A friend who gets you in trouble is
not a friend.
18. Keep a notebook of favorite scriptures on hand.
19. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is
often a good "Thank you Jesus."
21. Laugh some more!
22. Take your work seriously, but not yourself at all.
23. Before you blame someone, try to laugh at the situation.
24. Be kind to unkind people (they probably need it the most).
25 . Every night before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for
that you've never been grateful for before. GOD HAS A WAY OF TURNING
THINGS AROUND FOR YOU. "If God is for us, who can be against
us?" (Romans 8:31)
* * *
1 box Yellow Cake mix -- (any brand)
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla
20 ounces Pumpkin -- (1 can)
3 ounces Cream Cheese -- (softened)
3/4 cup Butter or Margarine -- (softened)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 tablespoon Milk
2 cups Powdered Sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, mix together
all ingredients until well blended. Fill paper-lined miniature muffin
tins 2/3 full of batter in each liner. Bake 13 - 15 minutes or until
In a medium mixing bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese. Beat
in vanilla and milk. Gradually add powdered sugar until frosting is
desired thickness. Apply topping to cooled mini-muffins.
Keeping it Simple,
Contact me with your favorite recipes, questions, comments and simple
living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@... or