The Simple Life Christmas

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2008

      Merry Christmas 2008!

      To all of you, near and far, in the far corners of the world, I wish
      you peace and happiness, and loads of time with family, and the gift
      that Jesus was born for - to come as the perfect sacrifice for our
      sin. God bless you!

      * * *

      Have you noticed that Christmas is not just about the gifts,
      the parties, the food, but also the sounds. The sounds of Christmas
      we all recognize: sleigh bells, Carols, laughter, car tires crunching
      on the snow in the driveway. But what about in the quiet? What do
      you hear when you are all alone? Lots of times, we try to ignore
      that little whisper in our ear. But what if we really listened and
      tried to obey?

      A friend was in the middle of getting ready for a Christmas party.
      The dog was barking, the kids were begging for dinner, her husband
      was expected any minute to show up with the sitter, and she wasn't
      dressed yet. But she heard a voice whisper to her to call a woman
      named Linda – a woman she barely knew. She tried to put it off, but
      the voice just got louder. She called. The woman was crying. She'd
      just found out she had cancer. My friend was able to set a time to
      visit, and reassure her that she would be there when needed. She
      wasn't able to take away the pain, but she was able to give comfort.
      And it took only 5 minutes of her time.

      Maybe you hear a voice encouraging you to touch base with
      someone from the past, or visit a neighbor. Or take a plate of
      cookies to the local nursing home, or a shut-in. Go ahead and do
      it! You will both feel better. And the sounds of Christmas will be
      so much sweeter.

      "Oh give me Samuel's ear,
      an open ear, oh Lord,
      alive and quick to hear
      each whisper of thy word.
      Like him to answer to thy call
      and to obey thee first of all." (told by Pastor Bill Hybels)

      "If you listen to whispers from God the rest of your life and if you
      heed them, God's favor will fall on your life and follow you for the
      rest of your life."

      * * *

      I went to a catalog party recently where there were dip mixes
      for sale for $9 each! I almost laughed out loud! The tiny bit of
      herbs in those little bags cost only pennies, and yet they thought we
      would actually want to buy these! Holidays are notorious for dips.
      Crackers and dips, Veggies and dips, even fruit and dips. And, dips
      are so easy to make! My Favorite dip is just chopped ham and onion
      and softened cream cheese. You can mix in sour cream or salad
      dressing or mayo to make them even easier to mix. So, say you like
      dill, or horseradish, or bacon – you can mix these up for pennies.
      You can even mix up a few in a jar and they will last 6 months – and
      for a fraction of the cost you can buy them at parties, stores, or
      booths at craft fairs.

      Go online with your favorite ingredients or mix up your own
      until you find just what you like. And just for starters, here are a
      few… You can buy your favorite herbs at health food stores or the
      herb section of your favorite store. You can purchase dried
      horseradish powder, dill, onion powder, dried vegetables, parsley,
      spinach,Italian seasoning, and even things like hickory smoke
      seasoning. Red pepper flakes add some zip. You probably have just
      what you need right in your cupboard! Mix it until you have it just
      right, adding a teaspoon of seasoning at a time. When you get it
      just right, right down your favorite combinations.

      Veggie Dip Mix

      1/4 cup dried chopped chives (dried from your garden!)
      2 t dried dill weed,
      1 t garlic salt,
      1 t onion salt,
      2 t smoked paprika
      Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Blend well. Spoon mixture
      into a small glass container and store in a cool, dry place. Label
      as "vegetable Dip Mix". Use within 6 months. To make Veggie Dip –
      Combine 1 T. lemon juice, 1 c mayo, 1 c sour cream, and 2 T. Veggie
      dip. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Makes about 2 cups of

      Horseradish Bacon Dip

      Add smoked hickory powder, dried bacon or imitation bacon bits, and
      horseradish powder to taste (just try a little at first) to1/2 c each
      sour cream and mayo. Or, try your favorite herbs!

      Keeping it Simple,

      Contact me with your favorite recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@... or