Good Ol' Fashioned Christmas!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16 8:17 PM

      What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the
      present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may
      overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may
      lead to peace. ~~Agnes M. Pharo

      Every time we love, every time we give, it's Chrismas. ~~ Dale Evans

      * * *
      Christmas is all about hope, isn't it? Children hope for the
      best of toys. Adults may hope for a few minutes of peace and quiet.
      Parents hope all the children will be home for Christmas. "Just that
      we can all be together and have a happy time," is what one of my
      friends told me. But what is Christmas? If we don't ask that
      question, we may miss it all together.

      Have you ever ridden in a horse drawn sleigh? My grandmother
      told me about riding in a sleigh to my great- great-grandparents
      house for Christmas. The house was filled with cousins aunts and
      uncles, and knowing my families' cooking, great aromas and lots of
      yummy food! What fun that would have been.

      Sometimes it seems like the real fun of Christmas has gone by the
      wayside. I wonder if Grandma were still here, if she'd choose to
      ride in a warmed up Chevy, or, I bet my last warm caramel cinnamon
      roll that she'd still want to ride all bundled up in that sleigh.
      Her father was at the reigns, with her brother up front at his side.
      Grandma and the three girls would be snuggled under blankets with
      warm bricks at their feet. The sleigh bells (yes, there really were
      bells) would be jingling along, and when they passed other sleighs
      they all would wave. Maybe they sang carols along the way. When
      they arrived they certainly had rosy cheeks and were warmed by the
      great cookstove in the kitchen and hugs from the rest of the family.
      I don't actually remember this, but because my grandmother told me
      about it, it's almost as if I do. That house still stands near
      Roseburg, in St. Clair County, today.

      Of course, the "good ol' days" weren't all romance. It was pretty
      chilly to hurry out to the "backhouse". And it would have been quite
      a chore to pump all the water and heat it all on the stove to wash
      all those dishes by hand. I can only imagine. But what I wouldn't
      give to have spent one of those "old fashioned" holidays with my
      family. What if there really were a time machine and you could go
      back? I'd go back to a Christmas of long ago!

      I do remember great times when our families got together. Nothing so
      romantic as a horse drawn sleigh. But there were new baby puppies
      one year, a new cousin every now and then playing out on the snow
      with Lake Huron in the front yard. I wonder how my grandkids will
      one day talk of our family get-togethers? One thing that won't
      change, of course, is the great food. That seems to be a family
      tradition, but what will the changes be?

      Will we still say a prayer of thanksgiving? Will we go to Christmas
      Eve services, and sing the carols we've known and loved for years?
      Will we still know the word without needing a hymnal? Will we clear
      the table after dinner to play board games, go for a walk, or watch
      football? Will we reflect of those we miss like my Aunt Lola, who
      had one of the most generous hearts of anyone I know? How many
      generations will it take for us to forget our loved ones but
      hopefully not the traditions of faith! Isn't that, our faith, the
      one true thing that keeps us coming back year after year to celebrate
      a birth so many years ago? May that be the one thing we never
      forget, or get too busy to teach our children.

      Never buy Green Onions again!
      You can use green onions in any recipe that calls for onions.
      However, organic green onions are pricey and you can't always use a
      whole package before they go bad. You can always have fresh organic
      green onions if you simply take the bulb part of the onions with a
      tiny bit of green attached
      and plant them in a flower pot in a sunny window. Keep them watered.
      By keeping a pot or two in the kitchen it is amazing how quickly
      they grow.
      Whenever you need some chopped green onion, just snip what you need
      shears! You might want to experiment with chives, other herbs, or
      other kinds of onions.

      Leftover Turkey Casserole

      If you might be having turkey for Christmas you might be going online
      like I did to find a recipe for the leftovers. I like to layer
      turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes, cover with gravy and warm in
      the oven about 45 minutes, or until nice and warm. Yumm. But after
      a couple days, come on! So after we were tired of all the old
      standbys, I started to make soup by boiling carrots and turkey, but
      then, there wasn't a lot of water left, so I went to get a box of
      Macaroni and cheese. I tossed in the macaroni and let it boil until
      it was ready, soaking up most of the water. Then I added the
      leftover stuffing and cheese packet. It was really good! Nice and
      easy, too!

      Let Us Keep Christmas
      Whatever else be lost among the years,
      Let us keep Christmas still a shining thing;
      Whatever doubts assail us, or what fears,
      Let us hold close one day, remembering
      It's poignant meaning for the hearts of men.
      Let us get back our childlike faith again.
      ~~Grace Noll Crowell