Thinking ahead to Christmas Savings!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2008

      I don't believe we are heading toward a great depression, but
      I do believe that the stock market is correcting itself. I believe
      lending institutions, and the people who re-mortgaged their homes, or
      bought too much "stuff" for their own good are all to blame. Anyone
      who uses credit unwisely had a part in our countries fiasco.

      And now comes Christmas when we are just trying to make ends
      meet. So what to do? Here are some ideas to make Christmas nice and
      simple, and not spend a fortune.

      Have a party! (how is that going to save me money? – you
      ask) Tupperware, Home and Garden, Pampered Chef – any kind of gift
      you think the loved ones on your list would like to receive, is the
      kind of party you can have. And, you will earn dollars to spend for
      FREE! Especially if you encourage your friends to have a party, too,
      then you earn extra points = more gifts! You can even give a catalog
      to your daughter, or mother, and let them pick their own gift
      (nothing worse than getting something you'd never use!)

      Coupon! Enclose a coupon (that you promise yourself you will
      fulfill) for lunch out, home-made dinner, babysitting, car-washing,
      who knows? The sky's the limit! And you can enjoy the rewards by
      enjoying time with your friend or say an elderly relative who might
      be lonely, by just spending time. That's the bonus of this gift. Or
      how about going through all those old photos with your parents, or
      older relatives. Write down or record stories from the past!

      Landscaping or indoor plant. Watch yard sales or resale
      shops for neat plant pots, and keep your eyes out at local
      greenhouses for great fall sales. Home Depot recently had all their
      trees, shrubs and roses on sale for 75% off! Give the gift of a
      plant and even offer to plant it now or in the spring (you may have
      to overwinter it in your own garden. Make sure to plant it, though,
      many plants will not survive the winter in a pot outdoors.

      What is your skill? Cooking, baking, birdhouse-making? Make
      your gifts and see a real smile on someone's face! Tuck cookies in a
      nice basket with a nice cloth napkin to towel. Give a pan of Lasagna
      that is frozen and ready to warm up – with instructions included.
      Make a game or a birdhouse, or a quilt. Shop for ideas without
      spending money! I'd rather get a basket of homemade cookies than
      something someone put good money into that I really don't need.

      Anonymous Surprise! Sneak over and shovel someone's walk
      while they are not home, or still sleeping. Leave a note, but don't
      reveal who did it!

      Teach a craft! Know how to knit or crochet? Teach a friend
      who wants to learn (or a grandchild), or – help them paint a room, or
      learn to wallpaper.

      My friend's daughter sent her a photo album and now that her
      son is several months old, sends new pages to add to the photos that
      her and hubby started together. She can also update these online,
      when she is busy, and her mom and sister can order the prints and
      they are sent right to her home!

      Make your own gift baskets. You know those baskets with body
      lotion, wash, bath accessories, etc? How about a basket with a bag
      of popcorn, cheese powder, and other flavorings, or a basket of ice
      cream sauces, and ice cream dishes? Or a coffee basket complete with
      mugs, and maybe some muffins.

      Recycle last years cards. Cut off the front of the card and glue to
      a folded piece of card stock! Or you can cut around the design. It
      will give a 3D look without buying those expensive cards.

      "If you can give your son or daughter only one gift, let it be
      enthusiasm."~~Bruce Barton

      Scotch Oatmeal Muffins

      1 cup quick-cooking oats
      1 cup buttermilk
      1 cup flour
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon soda
      1 egg, slightly beaten
      1/3 cup brown sugar
      1/3 cup cooking oil

      Mix dry ingredients. Add moist ingredients all at once and stir just
      to mix. Bake @ 400` about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Great
      with some of that homemade jam or jelly you canned this summer!