How Rich Can You Get?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2008

      Lucky Me!

      My grandparents were always a part of my life. From the
      earliest time I can remember, their faces were as familiar to me as
      my favorite toy, or my own parents. If I fell and skinned a knee,
      I'd could have run to any number of laps for comfort. In my early
      years I spent time with my dad's mother the most, because she was the
      closest to our home, near Flint. When my brothers were born, or
      maybe when my mother needed a break, I spent time out at grandma's.
      I loved to hear the stories of my dad when he was a kids, and from
      her stories, I was not even in the competition, he was a rascal of
      evil proportions! The way I remember the story, my father poured
      maple syrup all over the kitchen floor and while she cleaned that up,
      he was in the dining room taking down the curtains. None of my
      stories even come close, well, except maybe when I stuck the knife in
      the toaster- that's my "don't try this at home" story. I don't know
      why I didn't get shocked, or worse, but the sparks kind of got my
      attention.

      One very hot summer night, I spent the night with my
      grandparents. It just seemed so hot upstairs, I ended up sleeping
      with my grandmother, and I have no idea where grandpa slept, but I
      think she got some sleep.

      Grandma's cookie jars were always ready for her abundant brood
      of grandchildren, but once when I visited, the cookie jar was empty!
      I asked grandma for her recipe, and we had to make the cookies so she
      could write it down. Now that was exciting! It was fun mixing and
      rolling and cutting the huge batch of molasses cookies out with my
      grandmother, and then filling that large cookie jar, the one that
      rests on my countertop, now. It's nothing more special than an old
      pickle jar, but it is a treasure I wouldn't part with.

      My mother's mother lived in Port Huron. We moved there when I
      was eleven, so she became the "closest" grandmother. She lived in a
      house near the beach, and some of my happiest memories were visiting
      her, alone, or with cousins. She was also a great baker, and her
      cinnamon pecan rolls were the Christmas morning treat worth waiting a
      year for. Grandma's favorite line was, "Isn't this fun!". It always
      was. As she got older, she worried less about things like real
      butter. "Somethings gotta kill me!" she'd say. Unfortunately,
      something did and both my grandmothers are now gone. Those days
      were, well, priceless. Wow, why didn't we realize the memories we
      were making? I'd have given them an extra hug, or sat on their lap
      just a few minutes more, or maybe not have wanted to spend the time
      with my friends, instead. I'd definitely have spent more time
      listening to their stories of the "old days".

      I have two beautiful grandchildren, who live at opposite ends of
      the country. I always tell grandparents I know how lucky they are to
      be able to babysit often. Now that is priceless!

      * * *
      Simple Rice Dish

      This is an easy rice recipe that anyone can make. Simply mix all the
      ingredients together, cook, and enjoy.
      Ingredients:
      1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms 1 cup long grain white rice
      ½ cup butter
      1 (10.5 oz) can French onion soup 1 (10.5 oz) can beef broth

      Directions:
      Preheat the oven to 375F. Put the rice in a medium oven-
      proof bowl. Pour in the beef broth and French onion soup. Empty the
      can of mushrooms into the bowl, and place the stick of butter in
      without stirring. Cover the bowl with foil or a lid. Bake for 1 hour
      in the preheated oven and stir. Let stand for a few minutes before
      serving. Yields 4 servings.

      "I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by
      staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in
      the open air."~~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

      "Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting
      and autumn a mosaic of them all."~~ Stanley Horowitz

      "By all these lovely tokens
      September days are here
      With summer's best of weather
      And autumn's best of cheer."~~ Author Unknown

      columns: