Simple Breakfast Sandwiches that save $$$dough!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2008

      If you live in an area where fall colors are changing, you
      may want to take a drive. But do you really have to drive a long
      ways to see all the beauty? Why not go for a short ride, and don't
      leave the neighborhood? Take the back roads near your home. Drive
      slow, say 35 MPH. Turn down roads you've never been on.
      Fortunately, we live in a hilly area and in some places the view went
      on for miles and miles. On a two hour drive right nearby, we went
      down beautiful roads and saw the beginning of autumn in her
      glory.

      Once or twice we had to pull over to let someone pass who wasn't
      on a Sunday drive. It was great fun. Dinner was in the crock pot
      when we arrived home. Or, you could pack a picnic and stop at a park
      you find. You get to know your neighbors a bit better, and your
      surrounding area.

      * * *

      This year we built some garden beds closer to the house.
      They were 2X8 construction and about 4 feet across, allowing easy
      access for weeding and harvesting. After years of having an in-
      ground garden, there were some differences. Beds dry out faster.
      But this can be thwarted by mulch, plastic, or landscape fabric,
      depending on your preference. I was able to use cpvc pipe and
      netting to cover my cabbages and broccoli, which otherwise would have
      been infested with cabbage moths. These were held in place by
      galvanized pipe clamps. This helped them greatly. It wasn't 100
      percent, but it was much better. I also realized that the same
      framework of cpvc would work as a cover for a cold frame for
      extending the growing season into fall.

      There were much less weeds, and since the beds are closer to the
      house, watering took less time.

      Each year, make mental or written notes about what worked and what
      didn't. Each year there are mistakes and victories. Learning from
      each is what the fun of gardening is all about. There are no
      guarantees, but slicing that first ripe tomato, or walking to the
      garden, instead of buying onions is so much more rewarding. Its all
      about the fun!

      Simple Breakfast on the Run!

      Finding it way too easy to stop off for a quick breakfast
      sandwich before work, but feeling guilty for spending money on a
      sandwich, and maybe a Danish or juice and coffee? That could end up
      being $7 dollars or so just for breakfast. And what if the whole
      family buys breakfast? Wait a minute!

      Purchase a package of English muffins, cheese slices, pre-
      cook some sausage patties, or bacon, or ham or Canadian bacon?
      Scramble 8 to one dozen eggs and pour into a greased 9X13 pan and
      bake @ 350 for about 15 minutes or until set. Cool and cut into 12
      squares. Now assemble your breakfast sandwiches. An English muffin,
      a square of egg, meat and a slice of cheese. Butter if necessary.
      Now wrap in waxed paper and seal each sandwich in a sandwich baggie.
      Freeze or place in fridge.

      On busy mornings or when the kids have an
      early meeting or practice, warm for about 45 seconds or until nice
      and steamy. Thaw the night before, if possible. These are about 35
      to 50 cents a piece, rather than the $3. you used to spend. But a
      nice family breakfast beats a meal on the run, any day!

      * * *
      The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that
      the necessary may speak. ~Hans Hofmann

      To poke a wood fire is more solid enjoyment than almost anything else
      in the world. ~Charles Dudley Warner

      Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
      ~Confucius

      Frugality is one of the most beautiful and joyful words in the
      English language, and yet one that we are culturally cut off from
      understanding and enjoying. The consumption society has made us feel
      that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the
      happiness of not having things. ~Elise Boulding

      columns: