Thankful for Autumn

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2008

      SLICE THROUGH WINTER SQUASH WITH EASE
      Don't you just love winter squash? I will always remember
      the Autumn dinners we used to have at my old church, First Baptist of
      Port Huron. They wouldn't think of having a Harvest dinner without a
      big pan of winter squash and boy did, and do I love it! If there has
      to be fall and we have to leave summer behind, then at least there
      are the brilliant fall colors and wonderful winter squash to help us
      get through the thought that winter - cold dreary blizzardy winter -
      is on the way.

      I usually bake squash, with a pan of water alongside. For an hour or
      so. Then, when it is sufficiently tender, I scoop it out, mash it up
      with some butter, and a teaspoon or two of brown sugar, and a bit of
      salt and pepper. Mmmm. There's hardly anything so good. But when I
      go to bake the squash, I have to cut it in half and scoop out the
      seeds. There is now an easier way! Try this:

      First, pierce the squash all over with a fork, then place
      it on a foil lined baking sheet and heat in a 350 degree oven for 20
      min. This will soften the squash so you can easily slide a knife
      through its flesh to scoop out the seeds.

      * * *
      Election Woes
      Election time again? Gosh, just thinking about it can give me a
      belly ache. There is so much at stake! Our economy definitely needs
      a boost. We are way to far in debt (glad my check book is
      balanced!) So many pressing needs all at once! I already know how I
      will vote. But one little tiny vote, out of millions? Our Bible
      study on Wednesday morning is praying together once a week. We are
      not debating, but just praying for God's guidance and wisdom for our
      country. After all, one vote doesn't go that far. But who can
      measure our prayers? We can't see down the road, but God, in His
      wisdom, can see what we cannot. If you have a group that meets
      regularly, why not join our group and pray for our great nation,
      wisdom for our leaders, and a return to the values of our fore-
      fathers, instead of the corporate greed we see so much of these
      days.

      Cheerios Jumbo Breakfast Cookies
      Make these ahead for busy mornings!

      24 min | 10 min prep SERVES 12 - 12 cookies

      1 1/4 cups sugar
      1/2 cup butter or margarine
      1/2 cup peanut butter
      1/4 cup water
      1 tablespoon vanilla
      1 egg
      1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
      1 cup old fashioned oats or quick-cooking oat
      1 cup raisins
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      4 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal

      Heat oven to 375°. Stir together sugar, butter, peanut butter, water,
      vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients except
      cereal. Gently stir in cereal.
      Drop dough by rounded 1/3 cupfuls 4 inches apart onto ungreased large
      cookie sheet. Flatten dough to about 1 inch thick.
      Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes
      before removing from cookie sheet. Store loosely covered.

      * * *

      "I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by
      staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in
      the open air."~~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
      "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a
      bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
      ~~George Eliot

      "Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting
      and autumn a mosaic of them all."~~ Stanley Horowitz

      Contact me with your favorite recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@... or