Simple Autumn

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2008

      Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile. ~~ William Cullen Bryant

      Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird
      I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~~ George
      Eliot

      Just a day ago we enjoyed the first muskmelon we've ever
      grown. There are still lots of baseball to softball size melons on
      the vine, and now a possible frost predicted for tonight
      (Wednesday). We'll get them covered with some old yard sale blankets
      and try to save them as long as we can. Our tomatoes are also
      loaded, but many are still green. We haven't canned a jar of
      tomatoes yet, but when it really gets too cold to cover them, tomato
      plants will get hung upside down in the garage or shed until they
      ripen. We did can 16 pints of pickle relish the other day and we've
      been enjoying lots of zucchinis for bread, or fried for a while.
      The onions are safe in the ground and we pull them as we need them.
      The winter squash are filling out nicely. But where did the summer
      go? It seems like it was the fourth of July, and then it was Labor
      day. Now it is time to cut a few loads of wood to feed the woodstove
      this winter. Before long it is time to batten down the hatches for
      winter. Its hard to imagine the snow blowing across the fields as it
      does, drifting in the roads, but we will enjoy fall. It's not too
      late for some really nice weather and having some friends over for a
      hayride.

      We don't make a big deal of leaves. The majority of them get
      mulched by the lawn mower. But no matter what fall tasks there are
      they are not chores, but adventures. Wood cutting is a chance to see
      the wildlife in the woods and maybe a picnic. It's good exercise and
      having plenty of firewood is always a good thing. It wouldn't be any
      fun to wait until its too cold to enjoy it. Fall is perfect, not too
      hot, or cold, but just right. Whatever you do this fall to ready for
      winter, have fun with the kids while you do it and make a happy
      memory, instead of thinking of it as work!

      * * *

      Simple Breakfast Pizza

      A friend gave me a bite of her breakfast pizza that she brought into
      work. Wow! It was really delicious. One morning I was making
      biscuits and thought I'd try something new. That recipe was
      definitely a keeper and took only about 25 minutes from start to
      finish.

      Simple to make, and as good as an egg Sandwich, you can make these
      ahead of time and zap them for a quick breakfast, or toss them in the
      oven to bake while you get dressed. Either way, you will like these,
      and you can put your own toppings on that you like.

      Dough – you can use pizza dough, or spread pre-made unbaked biscuits
      in a pan, or use your own biscuit mix like I did. If you are really
      short of time, butter the pan and tear bread to fit the bottom.

      Biscuit mix
      1 1/2 c flour
      1/4 c butter or margarine
      2 t sugar
      1/2 t salt
      1 1/2 t baking powder
      2/3 c milk

      Mix and spread in non-stick skillet or greased cast-iron skillet.
      Pour in 3 beaten eggs with chopped onions and peppers. Top with 1
      cup grated co-jack cheese. If you use meat, it must be precooked.
      Bake @ 400` for 15 minutes. That's it!

      Contact me with your favorite recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@... or