Find your Purpose, Again!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2008

      A cancer doctor would ask his patients if they wanted to live
      to be 100. If they answered "yes", he knew they would likely be
      cured. If not, he knew they likely wouldn't be cured of cancer. How
      did he know this? If they wanted to live to be 100, that meant they
      had a goal, a purpose to life. The goal meant that they also had a
      reason to beat the cancer.
      That story made me think, "Wow. What is my goal or
      purpose?" Do you know what yours is? It's true, we all need a
      purpose, but sometimes they just get lost.
      A friend of mine is a mother, and she wants to be a good
      mom. Her husband has a good job, and she has two part time jobs.
      She thinks providing all the "toys"- the snowmobiles, the camper, the
      big house, the new cars are what makes a good mom. The bills keep
      piling up, too. It makes no sense, but the frenzy just continues.
      It's an endless spiral of responsibilities and work and worries, and
      not really even any time to enjoy the "toys". Its like a bottomless
      pit; a monster that can't be satisfied. It just continues, day after
      long tiring day. There is no hope that it will end anytime soon. But
      at the end of the day, mom is way to tired out to even have an ounce
      of energy for her kids. She has a goal, but she has lost sight of
      it. Maybe she is trying to provide all the "things" she didn't have
      as a kid. But what her kids want is just a mom and a dad, and a meal
      and a warm bed. All the bills for all the toys make them slaves to
      the life they are trying to have. It isn't all the "stuff" of life,
      it's the main goal that we must keep our eyes on.

      * * *

      Save at the Grocery Store

      You know all that food that you have to go a few months? Why not use
      it up before replenishing it? Instead of shopping, try using up food
      in the freezer and pantry. Plan meals around what you already have.
      Venison in the freezer from last year? Use it up before hunting
      season starts. Your family would love a hearty venison stew with lots
      of garden vegetables. If you run out of milk, eggs, or bread, pick
      up those items only. Other than that, try to use up what you have
      first. You will be surprised how many meals you already have on hand
      and how many dollars you can save in a few weeks!

      * * *

      If God only used perfect people, nothing would get done. God will use
      anybody if you're available. ~~Rick Warren

      If you're alive, there's a purpose for your life. ~~Rick Warren

      You were made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life
      will never make sense.~~ Rick Warren – from "The Purpose Driven Life"

      * * *

      SIMPLE SKILLET COOKIE

      Need a good and easy desert? Chocolate chip oatmeal cookie cooked in
      a skillet.
      1/2 c each butter, softened and brown sugar
      1/4 c sugar
      1 egg
      1 t vanilla
      3/4 c flour
      1/2 t baking soda
      1/4 t salt
      1 1/2 c quick or old fashioned oats, uncooked
      1 c semisweet chocolate chips
      Vanilla Ice Cream
      Caramel Ice Cream Topping or Chocolate Syrup (optional)

      Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars until
      creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beat well. Add combined flour, baking
      soda and salt, mix well. Stir in oats and chips, mix well.

      Press dough into bottom of nonstick ovenproof skillet. Bake 20 min.
      or until top is lightly browned. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool 10 min. Cut
      into 8 wedges. Serve with ice cream and if desired caramel or
      chocolate topping. Makes 8 servings.

      Contact me with your favorite recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@... or