Simple Memories

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2008

      Simple Stroganoff

      Serves: 2 This is so easy, you'll be ready to eat in no time!

      1/2 lb. lean ground sirloin
      ½ c chopped onion
      1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
      1 T light sour cream
      1/2 c mushrooms (optional)
      1 c uncooked wheat egg noodles
      1 t Worcestershire sauce
      1 t minced garlic

      1. Cook pasta as directed on package.
      2. While pasta is cooking, brown beef and onions.
      3. Once browned and drained, stir in the can of cream of mushroom
      soup, light sour cream, garlic, Worcestershire Sauce and mushrooms if
      you would like.
      4. Turn onto low and simmer until pasta is cooked.
      5. Pour pasta onto a plate, and top with the meat mixture.

      In the Garden

      Every year I try to grow cabbage and broccoli, but every year – some
      worse than others, they end up looking like swiss cheese! Bugs seems
      to make mince meat out of them. Now that I have raised beds near my
      green house, I used 1/2 inch pvcp pipe from plumbing and a couple
      brackets are attached to my raised bed frame, forming a hoop. Its
      easy to cover them with fine mesh, (I used tulle from the fabric
      department, and my crops are looking great! I just take off the
      cover to pick.

      * * *

      One of the best memories of my life is when my cousin Dawn
      and I were working at a camp the summer we were both 17. We went for
      a walk one night and we began to see all these falling stars. Not
      even the bugs bothered us that night. We stayed out until 2 am on a
      hill, just watching for more falling stars, and talking and
      laughing. Neither of us will ever forget that night. Later we
      learned that this even was the Perseid meteor showers and that it
      takes place about the 12th of August every year. Every year we try
      to get together at that time, but it doesn't always work out, but
      every year when I look out and see the falling stars (they are
      actually meteors, but very far away) I think of Dawn and all the good
      times we've had.
      If you can, grab a blanket, start watching, away from street
      lights (the darker the better). Take the kids, the dog, the
      grandkids, or your favorite cousin and just watch the unearthly
      spectacle that God sends us once a year. It's the best show in town.
      And Dawn sent me an e-mail containing this information, just
      as I was thinking about her! Dawn and I continue to make new
      memories every chance we get, I hope you have someone special to make
      memories with, too.

      Perseid Meteor Showers

      "The most famous meteor shower of all peaks the morning of August 12.
      The Perseids result when Earth runs into debris ejected over the eons
      by Comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle. With warm weather typical this time of
      year, many observers camp out for the event.

      Under ideal conditions, you may catch up to 90 meteors per hour at
      the peak. (If it's cloudy August 12, look for a decent show a day or
      two before and after.) The best time to view the Perseids comes after
      the gibbous Moon sets, around 1:30 A.M. local daylight time the
      morning of the peak. Watch especially near dawn, because this is when
      the chances of seeing a fireball are highest. Our view at dawn is
      head-on into the meteor stream, so the debris' impact velocity with
      Earth is higher and meteors tend to be brighter then."

      Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to
      understand. ~~Neil Armstrong

      The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is
      the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion
      is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in
      awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. ~~Albert Einstein

      We wake, if ever at all, to mystery. ~~Annie Dillard

      Keeping it Simple,

      Contact me with your favorite recipes, questions, comments and simple
      living ideas that work for you. Email: thesimple_life@...