Simple Economics

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2008

      "'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free" - from the
      Shaker song "Simple Gifts"

      The family is the corner stone of our society. More than any other
      force it shapes the attitude, the hopes, the ambitions, and the
      values of the child. ~~Lyndon Baines Johnson

      * * *
      Simple Economics

      Google (Internet term for looking up something or a
      search) "recession or depression" on the internet and you will come
      up with - A depression is when the economy shrinks by more than 10%.
      A recession is when the economy shrinks for two consecutive quarters.
      We have not even had one quarter where the economy has shrunk yet!
      The last time we had a quarter where the economy did decline was the
      third quarter of 2001 (9/11). Actually we should have been expecting
      an economic decline long before this.

      The worst recession in the last 60 years was from November 1973 to
      March 1975, where economic growth fell by 4.9 percent. We have not
      even had one quarter where the economy has shrunk, so we're not in
      either a recession or a depression. The economy is still growing,
      but at a slower rate than past years.
      You've probably heard the old saying, "If you lose your job, we are
      in a recession, if I lose my job, we are in a depression."

      Gary Foreman of "Dollar Stretcher" said, "You'll never see a
      big headline saying "Everything Is OK." That doesn't sell newspapers
      or keep TV watchers from reaching for the remote. In fact, I get
      bugged when they hype a recession that doesn't exist. Frankly,
      they've got a lot of people scared who don't need to be."

      What if you lose your job and your home? It's definitely not as bad
      as it seems. We have more resources available now than at any time in
      our history, in fact, in the history of the world. There are
      numerous ways to find help. For those that bought over-priced homes
      they couldn't afford, this will probably be a good thing, looking
      down the road, even though it is hard to go through. They can end up
      owning a home they really can afford. There are so many homes now on
      the market, they won't be sitting empty for too long. They will
      either become rentals, or will be sold at a much lower price. Who
      will buy them? Most likely the people who have lost a home! So this
      just may be an opportunity in disguise! Don't think that if you have
      bad credit you can't buy a home. It's not as hard to get a home as
      it used to be. Now you have a chance to learn from your mistakes and
      really decide to get ahead. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.
      Buy a home you really can afford. If your job may not be stable,
      (are they ever 100%?) you need to be careful. If you have two
      incomes, buy based on ONE! Don't let this happen to you again. Use
      this as an opportunity to downsize. Get rid of all that "stuff" you
      really didn't need anyway. Your kids will not know the difference.
      And if you do find yourself in hard times, keep looking up. Usually
      you will find yourself in a better state. Who wants to go through
      life as if they are hanging by their fingertips, anyway? Get back to
      an even keel, and stay there. Keeping up with the Joneses will only
      be putting yourself in hot water.

      Do what you can to live simply and frugally. Save money. You can
      have a good time without spending much money. Find inexpensive ways
      to travel, go on vacation, and entertain friends, cook, and spend
      your leisure time. It's nothing you can't do.

      Let's say you want to take the kids to an expensive amusement park.
      What if you take some air mattresses and a picnic to the beach?
      Entertain friends with a pot-luck. Instead of going to the movies,
      exchange a movie with friends, stay home and pop your own popcorn.
      Have homemade pizza night. Hang your clothes on the clothesline
      instead of using the dryer, and buy good used vehicles you have
      checked out on Consumer Reports, or ride your bicycles when
      possible.

      You can think up lots of ways to save money and put some away for
      hard times. Have a family meeting and talk about ways you can all
      save money. Even the kids can help, and it is good for families to
      work together on a project. Once you have a cushion put away, start
      working on getting credit cards, and extra bills paid off. When you
      really work on it, it won't be too hard. The trick is to have a
      cushion BEFORE the hard times get here.

      Local churches in our Marion area are sponsoring a Dave
      Ramsey "Financial Peace" workshop. Dave Ramsey is funny and too the
      point, as well as being practical. Call your local churches in your
      area to find out dates and times. If we learn anything in times like
      this, now is a chance to really learn what financial peace is all
      about.

      * * *

      Simple Walking Taco

      Take a small bag of corn chips, - one per person, or for a group, you
      can use a large bowl. Sprinkle in taco seasoned hot ground beef, and
      taco toppings of your choice, such as salsa, cheese, lettuce,
      tomatoes, onions, olives, and Jalapenos (if you dare). Great for a
      lunch, too. If you make your own taco meat, you can know the grease
      has been well drained. (less calories is another good reason to cook
      your own!)

      columns: