Simple Summer Beaches

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2008

      Simple Beaches
      "Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the
      beach."~~ Michelle Held
      "Our memories of the ocean will linger on, long after our footprints
      in the sand are gone." ~~Anonymous
      "The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder
      forever."~~Jacques Cousteau
      My grandmother always lived in the Thumb, near Port Huron and
      I grew up going to the beach. Swimming with cousins, sitting in the
      warm sand, looking for shells, hearing the gulls, having a picnic,
      and watching the freighters slowly churn past. I can't think of
      anything I don't love about the beach. Times haven't changed. Being
      just an hour away from Lake Michigan is a good thing. The only
      difference is now I use sunscreen! It was torture to wait an hour
      after eating to go back in the water.
      I love to feel the sand between my toes and the cool water
      lap against my ankles. On warm days I love an inner-tube and BIG
      waves. I can walk for miles and miles on a big beach and it's so
      good to live near beaches where I can. There is no limit to the
      beauty along a beach and the wonder of discovery. Check out the
      designs and patterns in a tiny shell. Even the patterns in the sand
      from the waves are a thing of beauty. And watch the sky and waves
      right before a storm, or the colors of a sunset reflected on the
      water.
      Gas may make visiting a beach a little more expensive than
      before, but packing a picnic or firewood or charcoal for a cook-out
      makes it even more fun and keeps the costs down. I take a small
      cooler bag for drinks.
      Beach list: Swimsuits, sunscreen,Towel, Water or juice, Cooler,
      Blanket, camera

      If you leave your swim bag (with your suits and sunscreen) ready to
      go when you get home, you will only have to grab it next time the
      beach calls, and you won't even have to pack.
      Same for a picnic. I have some small containers with ketchup, relish
      or salad dressing for sandwiches in the fridge and ready to throw in
      the cooler and it saves packing time when the mood for a picnic hits.
      I just refill them when I get home. I check the list so I won't
      forget anything. The lists are right in the cupboard door next to
      the sink. It takes less time to get ready to go. Need matches to
      start the charcoal? That goes on the list. There's nothing like
      getting ready for a picnic and not having forks. But when it's on
      the list, I can't forget. However, keep things to a minimum, to keep
      it simple. When you leave, you can quickly check the list and
      everyone can help get ready. The beach blanket and sunscreen stays
      in the trunk for the summer. You never know when you might want to
      hit the beach!

      * * *
      More Beach Ideas!
      We have had a lot of recent storms here in Michigan.
      Depending on the direction of the waves, there can be some areas
      where there is a lot of trash on the beach. It's not usually that
      way, but the next time I visit the beach, I will take a trash bag and
      maybe even a rake. It will only take a few minutes, but why not do
      my part? I love my beaches and I can do my part to keep them clean.
      While I walk the beach I can clean it up at the same time. Then I
      can put the bag near the trash can. One thing I noticed the last time
      I visited the beach was a lot of dead balloons with streamers
      attached. We need to quit letting balloons go. They have to end up
      somewhere, and then they just turn into trash! If we each clean up
      our favorite picnic areas, what a nice place we will have to visit!
      And, of course, the less trash we leave around, the better. And if
      you smoke, please don't toss down your butt! They may be small, but
      they are TRASH. One school group recently cleaned an area of beach
      and the most trash they found was cigarette butts. There were over
      15,000 butts on one area of beach! Find a trash can or use your ash
      tray in your car, or keep a small metal tin in your pocket (like
      those tin Altoids). Do it for all of us! No matter where we are, we
      can clean up after ourselves. Only a bully leaves trash around for
      someone else to clean up!
      Dogs love the beach, and there are places where you can take
      a dog to a beach. But please keep your dog on a leash! Not everyone
      wants to be licked, or sniffed by your dog. We need to clean up
      after our dogs, too.

      Simple Easy Supper

      Cook hot or sweet Italian bulk sausage, fried potatoes and chopped
      onions together until done. Drain grease. Add anything else you
      like, like green beans or corn. May add grated cheese right before
      serving. Serve with ketchup, if desired. Nice meal for the end of a
      beach day.

      * * *
      "The sea enters the rivers before the rivers can run into the sea. In
      like manner, God comes to us before we go to Him; and heaven enters
      into our souls before we can enter into heaven." ~~Peter Drelincourt

      columns: