Letter to Max

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2008

      Dear Max,

      Welcome to the world Max! You are only hours old, and even
      though you can't read yet, and will mostly eat and sleep for a few
      months, I wanted to celebrate the actual day you were born by writing
      you a letter, possibly your first.

      You only kept your mom and dad waiting a week since your due date.
      But you were a good size boy at 9 lbs, 5 ounces. You have all your
      fingers and toes, and you are an impressive 22 ½ inches long! They
      are so happy to see you at last, and for now, the rest of us are
      happy to see the photos of you that came on our cell phones not long
      after your birth. You have as yet no idea of the technology that has
      come about in the last few years to make that possible. In past
      years it would be days or weeks to print a photo and then get them in
      the mail.

      Max, your mother tells me that you woke her up about 5:30 this
      morning and you were born a little after 1 pm. I would be glad to
      bake you a cake, but you wouldn't even want to eat it! But you will
      enjoy birthday cakes one day.

      I was out walking in the garden a few minutes ago. It made me think
      of all the things you will learn about. One day you will be toddling
      about and see a bird, or a dog, or a flower for the first time and
      you will be very impressed. Every day there will be something new to
      learn and explore! And every day there will be just as much learning
      going on for your parents. They will notice when you start reaching
      to touch things, and when you smile for the first time; and they have
      so much to teach you!

      And your world will get bigger and bigger every day. In a few years
      you will go to school. God made the world, Max. And He put your
      parents in the world, and He made you. That makes you a very
      important person! And of all the lessons you will learn, from Math
      and Science, a Geography and stuff like how to tie your shoes, there
      is one lesson that is most important. And that is the lesson of
      choice.

      There are a lot of people who never learn this lesson. You can
      choose to say "Yes" to the things that are good for you, and "No" to
      the things that are bad for you. It's pretty simple. You will begin
      to make choices about what food you like, and what time you want to
      go to sleep, and what books you like to read. And then you will make
      important choices like when to hold Dad's hand when crossing the
      street, or in a parking lot. And you will get more choices every
      day.

      Learning to look both ways before you cross the street is a good
      choice. Later the choices seem just as easy, but they only get more
      important. In the end, most of life is made up of good and bad
      choices. Your parents have the most important job of teaching you
      what are good choices and what are bad choices and how to tell the
      difference. The other people who love you, your grandparents and
      your aunts and uncles and your teachers, they will also try to help
      you learn. You will be wise to listen when they try to guide you.
      In the end, Max, it's all up to you.

      How exciting your life will be Max! We will bake cookies together,
      and dig worms for fishing, and walk on the beach, and I will push you
      on a swing one day. But for right now, little one, just sleep tight
      and enjoy the ride.

      * * *

      If I had my life to live over, instead of wishing away nine months of
      pregnancy, I'd have cherished ever moment and realized that the
      wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist
      God in a miracle.
      ~~Erma Bombeck

      A baby is an angel whose wings decrease as his legs increase.
      ~~Author Unknown

      Babies are always more trouble than you thought - and more
      wonderful. ~~Charles Osgood

      * * *

      SIMPLE EARTHQUAKE CAKE
      Sprinkle 1 cup broken pecan pieces, 1 cup canned (chopped or shredded)
      coconut in bottom of a 9x13x2 well greased pan.

      Prepare: 1 box German Chocolate cake mix... according to directions
      on box
      and pour over the nuts and coconut.

      Melt in saucepan: 1 stick margarine, 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese.
      Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar, 1 box (1 pound). Mix
      well and spoon over cake batter, which is already in the pan. Do not
      mix, just drop by spoonfuls. Bake at
      350 degrees for 45 minutes or till done. Cut into squares to serve.
      Everyone will want the recipe.

      Send your favorite summer recipe!

      columns: