Simple Waiting

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2008

      Simple Waiting

      Life is full of waiting. We wait for the doctor, we wait in
      the checkout line. We wait for spring, we wait for school to let out
      in the summer, we wait for that first ear of corn. Sometimes, we
      wait for a baby. Right now, we wait for my daughter Holly to have
      her baby. She was due on the 8th. As much as I'd like to be nearby,
      they are in North Carolina, and most of her family is here in
      Michigan. But we are all waiting to hear the news. They will call
      when they head to the hospital, or when anything starts to happen.
      There is much anticipation. Every morning it's the first thought on
      my mind, and the last when I drop off to sleep at night.
      And I remember waiting for her to be born. Due on October
      7th, she finally arrived, on the 30th of October – that little
      devil! But everything went smoothly, and she had all her fingers and
      toes, all 8 1/2 pounds of her. Babies are the easiest to take care
      of before they are born, but there is so much that you want to know!
      Will it be a boy or a girl, who will the baby look like? And there's
      the wondering how the birth will go, especially for a first time mom –
      (it's not bad at all). Fortunately, most babies do get born –
      eventually!
      On October 6th I went to the hospital, only to be sent home –
      for 3 weeks! The nurse assured me that I'd be back in a few days.
      But days turned into weeks. I had lots of blue scraps of material,
      so I decided to make a baby quilt while I waited. Turns out, I had
      plenty of time. (Aren't due dates only there to compound the torture
      of women who are already tortured with pregnancy!) That little blue
      patchwork quilt got lots of wear and it's now nearly 30 years old,
      but its still around, just a bit tattered. For a few years it was a
      daily driver, washed and worn, spilled on and drooled on. And then
      it went into hibernation for a few years, packed away in the attic,
      and only recently resurrected – mostly out of wondering what happened
      to the old relic. But it was found, after only a few wrong turns and
      is now headed for the delicate cycle.
      And, as much as I advocate for downsizing and tossing, I
      still had a nice piece of fabric left from that first quilt to
      incorporate into a quilt for the new baby. Now this quilt is
      called "Grandma's Flower Garden". Since we do not know the gender of
      the baby, bright rainbow colors were the deciding factor, with a
      yellow flannel backing – nice and soft for whatever little sweetie
      decides to join our family. It was even sewed on the same sewing
      machine that the first quilt was sewn on, so many years ago. Each of
      my babies had a quilt from mom, and I'm sure all the grandbabies will
      have the same. And now, we just wait! And, as I repeated to Holly,
      again, babies come when they are ready. But, just so you know, your
      baby won't be any sweeter than you were, honey.

      * * *

      Babies – God's way of making the world a better place!

      All the time we wondered and wondered, who is this person
      coming/growing/turning/floating/swimming deep, deep inside.
      -- Crescent Dragonwagon

      Before you were conceived I wanted you
      Before you were born I loved you
      Before you were here an hour I would die for you
      This is the miracle of Mother's Love.
      -- Maureen Hawkins

      Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for
      something to happen or to hatch.
      -- E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

      * * *
      Simple Grilled Shrimp

      2 T. minced garlic
      2 t Italian seasoning
      2 T lemon juice
      1/4 c olive oil
      1/2 t pepper
      2 t basil
      2 T brown sugar
      1 t Worcestershire or Steak Sauce
      2 pounds large shrimp (21-25 per pound)

      Whisk the paprika, garlic, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, olive oil,
      pepper, basil, and brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce together in a
      bowl until thoroughly blended. Stir in the shrimp, and toss to evenly
      coat with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours,
      turning once.
      Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat. Lightly oil grill
      grate, and place about 4 inches from heat source Remove shrimp from
      marinade, drain excess, and discard marinade. Place shrimp on
      preheated grill and cook, turning once, until opaque. Serve while hot.

      ps - a photo of the two quilts is posted on the website!

      columns: