Proud to be American

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2008

      We are Americans. Our Grandfathers, fathers, sons, brothers,
      friends and now sisters are fighting for our freedom. We are proud
      of the fathers of the great revolution who by their own demise, made
      our country what it is. We are inventors, researchers, teachers,
      parents, and patriots, but mostly, we are Christians- and proud of
      it! We will not let anyone tell us what to believe, or when or where
      we can pray. We do believe in God. We do not believe that because
      there is some good in us all, that we all have God in us. If we
      believe that, we would believe that a frog has the right to one day
      be President. We will not forget our Sunday Schools days, our memory
      verses, or let our faith take a back seat. We fail at times, but we
      strive to be honest and hard working. We do what we can to make
      things better for our families, and we won't settle for less. It's
      our job to set a good role model. To be an excellent parent. To
      volunteer when there are needs in our community. To get out of debt,
      and stay there. To do the right things whenever possible. And to
      still put our hand on our heart when we hear the National Anthem. We
      are proud Americans, and we won't forget our roots, or the faith of
      our fathers who brought this great nation to where it is.
      * * *

      So, you haven't even started your garden yet? Smart. Way
      too many people were giving into the itch and were being rewarded
      with frozen plants. There are a few things that could have been
      planted, such as peas, the cabbage family, or onions, but if you
      haven't planted your heat-loving veggies, yet, you are not too late,
      but right on time.

      If this is your first year for a garden, keep it simple and you
      won't be disappointed. Try a few tomatoes, some beans, maybe some
      zucchini, a few cukes, or some lettuce or onions. Just a few simple-
      to-grow things.

      A six X four plot will grow lots of veggies! You don't need a
      roto-tiller, or tractor. Just a shovel. Remove the sod, and shake
      off all the dirt you can. This will really give you a weed-free
      garden! Add some compost. Rake it smooth and you are ready to
      plant. Utilize extra space by planting pole beans to grow up a
      trellis, as well as tomatoes and any vine plants.

      Plant your tomatoes and peppers in a sheet of black plastic,
      by cutting an X in the plastic. Water well. Tuck the plastic back
      around the plant. The plastic helps to keep the soil moisture around
      the plant, and helps heat the soil, which helps the fruit set
      sooner. Why wait?

      Plants also need lots of moisture to grow. Anytime you can't
      feel moisture and inch below soil level, it's time to water.

      Plastic also helps keep the weeds down, but don't plant cool
      weather plants like cabbage, broccoli, vine type plants or peas in
      plastic. They like it cool. But mulch is okay. Or just keep the
      top inch of your soil cultivated to keep the weeds down.

      Start as many plants as possible by seed straight in your
      garden row. Peas, beans, onion sets, squash, zucchini, lettuce,
      radish. But for faster tomatoes, and peppers, I like to buy a flat
      of vegetable plants every year. Let me know how YOUR garden is doing
      this year!
      * * *

      Simple Orange Delight Salad

      1 (12 oz) carton Cool Whip
      9 (12 oz) carton cottage cheese (fat-free)
      1 large box sugar-free or regular orange jello
      2 (11 oz) cans Mandarin oranges
      1 (15 oz) can crushed pineapple
      1 cup chopped nuts

      Drain well Mandarin oranges and pineapple. Mix well dry jello,
      Cool Whip and cottage cheese. Add well drained oranges, pineapple
      and nuts; mix well. Chill before serving. Serving size 1/2 cup.
      Serves 12.

      columns: