Simple Gas

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 5:26 PM

      The world today is upside down because there is so very little love
      in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other.
      Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home
      begins the disruption of the peace of the world.~~Mother Teresa

      Simple Gas

      I hate that people in the world are starving because oil barons need
      to make more money. Greed - Plain and Simple. I don't have it all
      figured out, but in my way of thinking, America still is the greatest
      country in the world. But the cost of fuel is crippling. We seem to
      be our own worst enemy. Dropping the Federal or State gas tax is not
      the answer. That will only cripple our economy more. Our roads are
      in terrible shape as it is. Crippling to the people who just have to
      get to work to make a living to pay the rent and put food on the
      table. Crippling to the farmer who plants the seeds, and milks the
      cows, and harvest the crops, who is finally making a decent wage, but
      still can't get ahead for fuel prices. When are we going to learn?

      Someone said recently that we might not want to get out of Iraq,
      since we now have a strong presence in the middle East. No wonder
      the insurgents want us out! But since we have paid billions of
      dollars to fight the war, why doesn't Iraq, one of the richest oil
      countries at least give us a break on gas prices? Doesn't add up.
      If America produces the most food in the world, and you can't grow
      food in a desert, and the desert lands of the world control OPEC,
      does it take a person more intelligent than me to figure out that we
      do have a bargaining chip? Not everyone has to drive, but we all
      have to eat! (And no, I'm not a Poker player), but I don't get it!
      We are the richest nation, and yet, our jobs are going south. Can't
      we put someone in office that can actually figure out how to keep
      jobs in America, keep banks from lending to people who can afford
      what they want to borrow, keep our farms from going bankrupt?
      A store clerk recently said to me, "When it comes to the election, a
      lot of people are going to be looking for the `none of the above'
      button. I couldn't agree more.

      Michigan can't get it right. We are in our 6th straight year in
      the job-loss category. And we elected that. Twice! As Bill Cosby
      says, "Come on People!" Everyone's got an opinion, but does anyone
      really know what's going on?

      All this to say, find ways to use less gas. Burn alternative
      fuel whenever possible. Use your clothes line. Get groceries after
      work, to save a trip. Make the kids ride their bikes – it's good for
      them. Heck – you ride your bike! My friend Bill just bought his
      daughter an electric scooter. Hey, it burns less gas than a car.
      Stay home. Buy a fuel efficient car, if possible. I figure I will
      be able to afford a Prius (at least they are made in America!) in a
      few more years, (and why are Ford and GM so far behind in the Hybrid
      wars?)

      We don't have an excuse not to vote - or, to know where we stand
      on the issues. More than any time in history we need to KNOW what's
      going on, not just guess, or go with the flow. Find out how you
      stand on the issues. And, for your families' sake, don't go into
      debt, get OUT of debt. Save part of your income. Buy food that is
      good for you, not junk food. Grow your own, if possible. Support
      the workers in your area by buying their products, such as local
      factories, or farm markets. And if you live in America, BUY
      AMERICAN! One day, it may be your grandchild's job on the line. You
      will have to look to find the products, but they are there.
      Substitute, if necessary. Can't get American strawberries? Use a
      fruit that is from America. We may not ever be president, but we can
      to our part!

      And since the frost's just won't quit, in our area, plant your
      tomato plant in a pot, so you can move it in and won't lose it.
      * * *
      Please write me with your ideas on how to fight high gas prices at
      home! thesimple_life@.... Or, just send your opinions. I will
      try to print them all.

      * * *
      Remember those Presidential Physical Fitness Awards we got in
      Jr. High and High School? Now's your chance to do it with your kids!
      Log on to "Presidentschallenge.com" and you can log your own progress
      and qualify for prizes – again! Just doing 1/2 hour exercise per day
      and you can qualify.

      Simple Carrot Cake...
      2 large eggs, 8 oz can crushed pineapple, Jiffy Cake Mix (or 1/2 reg
      cake mix)
      1/3 cup Mayonnaise, 1 c shredded carrots,1 t cinnamon, 1/4 c. walnut
      pieces

      TO PREPARE:
      Stir all ingredients until well blended. Pour into a greased and
      floured 9" square baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Frost with
      Cream Cheese Frosting.

      CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:

      1 - 8 oz. softened block of cream cheese, 1 stick of oleo - softened

      Beat together until creamy.16 oz powdered sugar – sifted, 1 t vanilla

      Add all ingredients together. Frost top and side of cake. Then
      refrigerate one hour before serving.
      * * *
      Garden Hose Hints
      The most damage that can be done to a garden hose, is done by
      the sun (see how dangerous the sun can be to skin?) Hang your hose
      in the shade, when not in use, and drain, and put it away in a shed,
      garage, or basement for the winter.

      And to all the 2008 Graduates – Congratulations! You made it!

      columns: