Don't Fence Me In!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 5:18 AM

      Each moment of the year has it's own beauty. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

      My profession is to always find God in nature. - Henry David
      Thoreau

      Not So Simple Fence

      It seems our government thinks it is wise to spend 1.2 billion
      dollars to build a fence and surveillance system to keep illegal
      aliens from crossing the border. For one thing, the fence will look
      like an ugly scar across the landscape. For another, there is
      already a huge decrease in the numbers of border crossings, because
      there are now stiff penalties for companies hiring illegal aliens. No
      work, no living, no wanna move! In fact, companies near southern
      California and Arizona who are growing food are moving their
      operations south of the border to hire Mexicans right in their own
      country. Can you imagine food ready for harvest and no workers in a
      world where hunger is epidemic? Harvesting vegetables and fruit is
      back-breaking work. I know, I've picked strawberries enough to know
      I don't really want to do it full-time. I don't mind for a few
      hours, but that's enough. And I don't live close enough to go pick
      my own veggies every week. But there are willing workers in that
      area, if only we can come up with an idea, like more work visas.
      Wouldn't it be better to hire more workers to process the visas, than
      put up a fence we may one day regret?

      Since no jobs means no means of making a living, do we really
      want that fence? Since all the jobs are moving south of the border,
      I'm thinking the migration is going to reverse. One day we may want
      to move there! If only we could use our brains instead of the brawn
      it takes to build a fence, we would do what we can to keep the jobs
      right here at home. I agree that we cannot allow illegal aliens to
      roam freely, or enter to have babies for free, thus acquiring
      automatic citizenship but we are only showing our limited thought
      process by thinking an ugly fence is the only option.

      Apple Muffins

      1 c honey,1/2 c oil, 1/2 c applesauce, 4 large eggs, 2 1/2 c whole
      wheat flour, 2 t baking powder,1/2 t salt,1 t allspice,1 t nutmeg,1 t
      cinnamon, 1/2 c milk
      1 3/4 c. grated apple, including peel,1 t vanilla,1 c raisins,1 c
      chopped walnuts

      Beat the honey, oil and eggs using electric mixer. Mix all dry
      ingredients in separate bowl. Add to honey mixture and mix well.
      Add and mix in the apple, vanilla, raisins and nuts. Fill paper-
      lined muffin cups almost full. Bake at 400 for 12-15 min. Remove
      from tins to cool. Makes 18 muffins.

      Starting a Garden

      1. You are going to have your first garden this year. You are
      so gung-ho, you can taste it. But you have no experience. Start
      small. Maybe a few pots, or a small 8X10 size is good. Pick a few-
      tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, onions, just a few favorites that are
      easy to grow. Next year you can add more, but start small.

      2. If you have an area in the ground, spray with weed spray and
      wait a few days, (depending on your type of spray) then work it all
      up. To stay organic, remove the sod to a compost area, but then you
      will have to add a few bags of soil to fill in, or well composted
      manure.

      3. Use some kind of edging to keep the grass from moving right
      back in.

      4. Mulch. Black plastic works great to heat the soil for heat-
      loving plants, like peppers and tomatoes. But not everything! Cool
      crops like broccoli, or cabbage crave cool soil.

      5. If they are in pots, they will have to be watered daily. Now
      there is a fertilizer that is time-release that lasts up to 4
      months. These are really nice. Fertilize once and forget it.

      6. Keep it near the house and accessible to water. A water
      barrel is a good simple project. Locate it under an eave trough to
      collect rain water. Keep a lid on it, to keep mosquitoes from taking
      over, or cover with a screen. My friend Deanne has one that is up on
      a big stump, and has a spigot at the bottom to fill a pail. Nice.

      7. Since we have a short growing season, buy your plants in a
      flat, or by the plant. Starting seeds indoors can be difficult, but
      not impossible. Buying the plants will make up for a late warm up in
      our area. Some plants, like peas or beans or onion sets are easy to
      plant right in the garden.

      8. Keep your garden weeded each week, so the weeds won't take
      over.

      9. Start planning for next year!

      columns: