Being in the Spring Moment

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2008
      4-2

      All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day
      of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its
      energy, and my spirits soar. ~~Helen Hayes

      Is it so small a thing
      To have enjoy'd the sun,
      To have lived light in the spring,
      To have loved, to have thought, to have done...~~ Matthew Arnold

      Yeah, Spring! Have you been out raking yet? The road plow
      threw lots of gravel on our lawn, so we've been raking it off. Not a
      bad job, actually fun after the winter! We are so glad to be out of
      the house and enjoying the sunshine for a welcome change. Bears are
      coming out of hibernation in our area, and deer are finding the new
      green growth that they missed all winter. Everything seems like a
      new experience, now that the snow is almost all gone. I can't wait
      for our first daffodil. Even our Rhubarb is peeking up from the
      earth.
      But even while raking really be in the moment. You are not
      just raking, you are out in the sunshine. Or you may be hanging
      clothes, or doing yard clean up, but enjoy everything around you.
      Feel the breeze. Notice the wildlife; the birds, the bugs, and
      especially the flowers. Teach your kids to do this too. It's all
      around us, and we take it for granted, but nature won't wait. Those
      narcissus won't be here for long. And the Trillium – those beautiful
      wildflowers in the woods, you won't see them if you don't go for a
      walk in the woods.
      Don't let life squeeze the wonder out our your wonderful life.

      A Really Simple Steak

      A butcher(sorry, I don't know who it was) who has been able
      to try all the expensive cuts of meat, recommends a Chuck Steak!
      They are often tender, and less expensive. Here is a great sauce to
      use for a marinade.

      1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar and your favorite herb,
      like Rosemary)
      1/2 cup soy sauce
      1/4 cup olive oil
      1 chopped onion
      1/2 tsp. garlic powder
      1/2 tsp. onion powder
      1/2 tsp. black pepper

      Mix all ingredients together and place one large (1/2 to 2 pound)
      boneless chuck steak in the mixture and refrigerate overnight, making
      sure meat is submerged in mixture. Grill on medium to low heat for
      about ten minutes each side. Cook a little less for medium rare and a
      little more for well done. Warning: This marinade is quite tasty and
      may not be suitable for all. It might be a little salty for some.
      Back off on the soy sauce if you have concerns.

      Save for Gardening:
      Save leftover pieces of window screen for the bottom of your pots.
      They keep the dirt from going out the holes in the bottom, but do
      allow for drainage. Also, those little plastic knives that you use at
      picnics make great plant markers! Write the plant name on with
      permanent marker and stick in the pots, seed starter containers or
      the ground.

      columns: