Simple Spring!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008

      The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light
      in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of
      right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's
      plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily
      bread are the sweetest things in
      life. ~~Robert Louis Stevenson

      Simple things to look forward to this Spring:
      Washing the windows
      The first rain (today)
      Hearing the birds sing in the morning
      Cleaning off the deck
      Getting out the outdoor furniture
      Digging in the dirt
      Watching the birds gather nesting materials
      Having our first cook-out and eating outdoors on a warm afternoon
      Making the house look like spring, instead of winter (taking down all
      the snowmen decorations!)
      Opening the windows for the first time!
      Putting a spring quilt on the bed
      Hanging the laundry outdoors and that outdoor fresh scent
      Putting the snow shovels away for a few months
      Weeding out the flowerbeds
      Green grass!
      The first hummingbird
      Saying good-bye to mud
      Flowering trees
      All the firsts -The first daffodil bloom, the first lamb, the first
      foal, the first leaf to unfurl, hearing the frogs (still a few weeks
      away, here), the first yard sale!
      At dinner your family can talk about all the wonders of
      nature that are happening right before our eyes. Bring the first
      dandelion, put daffodils on the table – make spring a celebration!
      * * *
      If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did
      not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
      ~~Anne Bradstreet

      April comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.~~ Enda St.
      Vincent Millay

      All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the fist day
      of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its
      energy, and my spirits soar.~~ Helen Hayes

      * * *
      CHICKEN & VEGGIE STIR FRY

      1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
      1/2 cup stir fry sauce
      1 tbs each vegetable oil and cornstarch
      12 oz bag broccoli, carrots and cauliflower blend
      1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
      1 small red onion, thinly sliced
      Ramen noodles (without seasoning)

      In a bowl, combine chicken and sauce, set aside. In a skillet, heat
      oil. Add vegetables, pepper and onion. Cook 8 min. or until slightly
      tender. Remove from skillet, set aside.

      Add chicken mixture to skillet and cook until cooked through. Return
      vegetables to skillet with chicken. Stir together 1/3 cup water ,
      cornstarch, 2t brown sugar and add to skillet. Let cook 1 min. Serve
      with cooked noodles. MAKES 4 SERVINGS.*

      Simple Stir-fry Sauce
      1/2 c cornstarch
      1/4 c brown sugar
      1 T grated ginger root
      2 t minced garlic
      1/2 t ground red pepper
      1/2 c soy sauce
      1/4 c cider vinegar
      2 c chicken or beef broth
      1 c water
      Combine first 5 ingredients. Add soy sauce and vinegar. Shake until
      blended. Add broth and water. Shake. Store in refrigerator for up to
      2 weeks. May be frozen.

      columns: