getting healthy

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2008
      Isn't it amazing how fast a child who is afraid of the dark becomes a
      teen who wants to stay out all night? Unfortunately, they have about
      the same amount of maturity!
      * * *
      Days are getting longer and brighter, and some early birds
      are heading back from the south to begin nesting. We are so happy to
      see the sun around here! Try to take several 10 minute walks a day,
      if you can't fit in more. Any exercise is better than no exercise.
      It also helps you have a healthy heart and sends oxygen rich blood to
      your brain to keep your brain cells rejuvenated! What's not good
      about that?
      Check out your seed supplies that you might want to get
      started early indoors. Heat loving plants such as tomatoes and
      peppers do better when the soil is warm. To pre-heat the soil, cover
      the area to be planted with black plastic for solarization. This is
      the #1 way to get earlier fruit in cooler climates, unless you have a
      * * *
      Simple Thots
      No one ever says "It's only a game" when their team is winning.
      * *
      When you have a toddler, nap time is happy hour!
      * *
      Why is it that at class reunions you feel younger than everyone else
      * *
      A sense of humor is the best sense to have!

      Simple Oatmeal Raisin Spice Cookie Mix
      I love this recipe because you can have a cookie mix all ready to go
      if the grandkids drop in. In 15 minutes, you can have warm cookies!
      What's not to like about that? Or, you can give this in a jar for a
      gift with a nice tag, for Christmas, birthdays, or just because. If
      you rather, use your favorite recipe, and follow these directions for
      a different favorite cookie mix. I like to keep these in tin. If
      you want to make a recipe in bulk, make one regular recipe first,
      measure how big a scoop of dry ingredients, and you could have a big
      tin full. If you leave out the spices, you could add chocolate
      chips, nuts, coconut, peanut butter, or any flavor and spice you like
      when you are whipping up a batch. Just remember to keep only the dry
      ingredients and add all the wet or extra ingredients, later. I use a
      small ice cream scoop (from Pampered Chef) as a cookie scoop when I
      put them on the pan. I once got a brownie mix in a jar as a gift, so
      just about any baked good will work great!

      Simple Oatmeal Raisin Spice Cookie Mix

      Makes 3 dozen (36 servings)
      Mix together:
      1 c flour, 1 t ground cinnamon, 1/2 t nutmeg,1 t baking soda, 1/2 t
      salt. Layer flour mixture in jar, or use zip lock bag.
      3/4 c raisins,2 c oatmeal, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 c sugar,

      1. Mix together flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, baking soda
      and salt. Set aside.

      2. Layer ingredients in the following order into a 1 quart, wide
      canning jar: Flour mixture, raisins, rolled oats, brown sugar, white
      sugar. It will be a tight fit, make sure that you firmly pack down
      each layer before adding the next layer.

      3. Attach a tag with the following instructions:

      Oatmeal Raisin Spice Cookies

      1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. May line cookie sheets
      with parchment paper.

      2. Empty jar of cookie mix into a large mixing bowl.

      3. Mix in 3/4 c butter or margarine, softened. Stir in one slightly
      beaten egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Mix until completely blended.
      You will need to finish mixing with your hands. Shape into balls the
      size of walnuts. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches

      4. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are
      lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to
      wire rack to finish cooling.

      Keeping it Simple,

      Email: thesimple_life@...