Simple Winter Weekend

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2008

      We can stay young by focusing on a dream instead of on a regret.

      We make our world by the life we lead,
      By the friends we have, by the books we read,
      By the pity we show in the hour of care,
      By the loads we lift and the love we share.
      ~Alfred Grant Walton

      Winter Weekend

      The weather was so bad this past weekend, that we only left
      the house when absolutely necessary. We did go out to get a movie.
      It was quite frigid, and not an animal could be seen outdoors. Even
      the dog went upstairs to sleep, just for a change of scenery. We
      played several games that we like to play. And there are always a
      few chores that need doing. Oh, and I made donuts. I just made my
      regular bread dough, with just a bit extra sugar. I fried them in a
      saucepan on medium heat after they rose for about 20 minutes. They
      really were great. Look out Krispy Kreme!
      And just when I had had enough reading, and movie watching
      and game playing, and organizing, Monday came along. The plow when
      through before 10 am. Boy was I glad to see him! And then after
      almost a week of not seeing the little fellows, the bluebirds were
      back! Just when I thought for sure they were gone. Nice to see you
      guys. Now I know spring is on the way!

      "The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total
      responsibility for our attitudes. That's the day we truly grow up."
      ~~Dr.
      John C. Maxwell

      Since we are all trying to eat more fiber, and cut calories, and
      fiber is a great way to do that, here is a great recipe you might
      want to try. Crusty homemade bread goes well with this.

      Simple Black Bean Soup
      2 T vegetable oil
      1 medium onion, chopped (about 2/3 c)
      1 T ground cumin
      ½-1 t crushed red pepper flakes
      4 t Garlic
      3 cans (16 oz.) black beans, undrained
      1 ½ c chicken broth
      1 large jar thick and chunky salsa (spicy to your taste) or 1 Qt.
      Home-canned tomatoes and 1 t chili powder
      1 carrot, chopped
      2 T lime juice
      ½ c non-fat plain yogurt (optional)

      In large pan over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, cumin and
      pepper flakes in oil until onion is tender, about 3 minutes; remove
      from heat.

      Blend 2 cans beans and their liquid in batches with chicken broth;
      add to pot. Stir in remaining beans, salsa and lime juice.

      Heat mixture to boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
      Top with yogurt and chopped green onions, if desired.

      Email: thesimple_life@...
      columns.