Simple Politics

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008

      We can stay young by focusing on a dream instead of on a regret.

      A woman recently said that she was going to vote for
      president this year, for the first time, because we had a women
      running for president. Hmmm…

      When Jennifer Granholm ran for Governor of Michigan, my boss
      at the time, said to me, "Isn't it great to be able to vote for a
      woman?" I couldn't believe that she thought I would vote for someone
      just because she was a woman! I had a lot of respect for her before
      that, but when she made that statement, I had to wonder about her.

      Nothing wrong with voting for a woman as long as she has the
      values that you have, or voting for a man who's ideas you admire, but
      to vote for someone simply because of their race, or sex is
      unthinkable to me.

      I am interested in the political process because I feel
      strongly about issues. I care about family values, unemployment, and
      our jobs going out of the country because of greedy companies, global
      warming, and alternative energy. Michigan is in last place when it
      comes to jobs. We were a strong state, but we seem to have learned
      nothing from our mistakes. The autoworkers didn't think about their
      kids needing a job someday, when they wanted white-collar wages for
      blue-collar jobs. They wanted the big houses, the boats, and the new
      cars, but they priced themselves out of jobs for future generations.

      Whoever leads our country and our state must be chosen carefully.
      Our choices must be based on their performances of the past. If they
      were in congress, what were they voting for? If they voted for the
      war, are they backtracking now? Is it okay to vote for something and
      then do a "take back" later? You can't take back a vote. Sure,
      everyone makes mistakes, but when you admit that you made a mistake,
      you can't just throw the blame on someone else.
      And, was the war such big mistake? I am not so sure. I believe that
      we "I want it now" Americans are feeling frustrated by some of the
      fiascos that have happened, stupid, humiliating mistakes made with
      prisoners, and huge funds going to contractors that made their way
      into off shore accounts. But we cannot say that the nearly 5,000
      American service personnel who gave their lives were lost in vain. I
      feel heartened when I see children playing in Iraqi streets once
      again, and families returning to their homes who had escaped before
      the war. Some Iraqis feel that the war was not in vain. Only
      history will tell the whole story.
      I do know that when times are tough, we need to do our part. We give
      lip service to "Buy American" but do we care?

      And our mortgage fiasco was caused one family at a time who bought
      something they could not afford to buy. We can blame the banks for
      loaning out too much money, but we walked into the offices and asked
      for it.

      We did not ask, "What if I lose my job?" So we are essentially
      losing something that was never ours in the first place. It's not
      yours until you own it! That means paid off! It's easy getting used
      to the "good life" when the money is rolling in, but what happens
      when layoffs, or sicknesses occur. We needed two incomes to get by,
      but when one or both change, we are stuck with too much owed at the
      end of the month.

      This is America, the greatest nation in history. But history will
      tell if we as individuals allowed out great country to slip out of
      reach. We need to get back in the black. We need leaders who will
      lead, and are not just one of the "good ol' boys" who are filling
      their own pockets at our expense. The best way I know to do that is
      to find out what our candidates really care about. Do the homework
      we would expect of our grade-schoolers. Because if we don't care
      enough to vote, we have no right to complain!

      * * *

      "Happiness must be cultivated. It is like character. It is not a
      thing to be safely let alone for a moment, or it will run to
      weeds."~~Elizabeth Stuart Phelps

      When you are angry with someone, you judge them. Good anger is when
      you find what you can do to make a change in a circumstance you
      cannot tolerate.

      Monster Cookies

      3 large eggs,1 c brown sugar,1 cup granulated sugar, 1 t vanilla
      extract,
      1 t corn syrup, 2 t baking soda, 1 t salt, 1/2 c healthy margarine,1
      & 1/2 c chunky peanut butter, 4 & 1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 c all-
      purpose flour, 3/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips, 3/4 c butterscotch
      chips, 3/4 c walnuts

      Mix marg. eggs, sugar. Mix in rest. Bake 350 until golden brown.
      (I substituted unsweetened applesauce for ½ the marg to make them
      even more healthy. You can substitute splenda or just cut down on
      sugar, and add any options, such as coconut, of your choice. For
      more fiber, use old fashioned oats.

      Email: thesimple_life@...
      columns.