    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 28, 2008

      We can stay young by focusing on a dream instead of on a regret.

      Simple Good Oatmeal Muffins

      1 C Old-fashioned Oatmeal
      1 C Milk
      mix and let sit for 5 minutes
      1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
      1/3 c brown sugar
      ½ t salt
      ¼ c oil
      1 egg
      1 c flour
      1 t cinnamon
      1 T baking powder

      scoop into greased muffin cups. Makes about 8 muffins. Bake @ 425
      for 20 minutes until golden brown.
      * * *
      Special Delivery

      When you wish to give a plant to someone in the hospital, put
      together your own and take it to the hospital to the volunteer desk
      with the patient's name and room number. It'll be "delivered" by the
      volunteers just like the florist shop items! This can save a lot of
      money because you use your own container purchased from a thrift
      store or garage sale and your own plant and make your own delivery.
      The patient just knows that you were thinking of him/her, and then
      you can make a visit later that day or the next day if you are in the
      same vicinity. Try it. No one questions your dropping off a gift to
      be delivered. This also gives you incentive to repot those `extra'
      plants, like those extra baby spiders plants, or take cuttings from
      your philodendra. Even orchids make baby plants you can get starts
      from! When you get them established, you can get them potted up in a
      nice pot for a birthday or "cheer –up" gift. You could also look for
      clearance plant sales, just to get a start! When a friend gave me an
      orchid, she also gave me a note card with instructions for care, and
      the likes and dislikes of the particular plant. It's easy to look up
      plant names on the internet and make your own little plant cards and
      keep them in a filebox for your own reference.

      * * *
      I try to get out every day and get some fresh air, and go for a
      walk. Even though I don't often feel like getting out, especially
      when the wind can be so frigid, but I really enjoy it, once I get out
      there. The past few days 6(!)Bluebirds have been entertaining us
      right in front of our bay window. I was watching them this morning,
      and the thought crossed my mind that maybe we were the ones being
      watched. Maybe they feel sorry for us, thinking we are stuck in the
      cage called a house? Who knows who is the watcher and the watchee!
      They flit about and sing, and ruffle up their feathers to look
      bigger, and now that there are 6 instead of 2, and even though there
      is about a foot of snow still, there they are. If they can stand the
      cold and the snow, just maybe I will make it too. While they have
      cheered me up this morning, who can I cheer up today?

      * * *
      I have been spending a lot of spare time working on our family
      history this winter. There are a lot of free sites you can access
      from the Internet, just by searching genealogy, family history sites,
      etc. I am combing through family photo albums, and notes as far back
      as I can find. The other day I was able to add my Great
      grandmother's middle name (Nora), and some other details, all one at
      a time. It's like adding more and more pieces to a puzzle. I hope
      to just keep adding more and more. I even found a cousin Sue, that I
      have never met on the internet. We share a great-great grandfather!
      If you are looking for a simple, and yet meaningful hobby, family
      history is really fun, and it can get creative and artistic. You can
      find lots of ideas at libraries, and most local libraries have
      genealogical societies, that will be glad to lend you a hand, and
      point you in the right direction.

      Email: thesimple_life@...