Thinking Smaller in the New Year!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2008

      Thinking Small in the New Year!

      Instead of thinking bigger, let's think smaller and better in
      2008! Let's think eat at home and eat healthy, keeping that extra
      money in our wallets. Why pay someone to put a meal in front of our
      family when we can do a better job ourselves? At least when we eat
      at home we know what's in there. Let's think have a garden. Let's
      think about putting up some good home-grown vitamin-rich organic food
      in jars or the freezer.

      Let's think small comfy home, instead of big, cold and too
      much upkeep and payments that are too high. A house that's paid for
      is security. And peace of mind is worth a lot.

      No one is impressed anyway. We can only impress ourselves
      when we actually have more money at the end of the month after the
      bills are paid.

      Let's think healthy exercise to keep in shape instead of
      shopping and spending. There will always be things to tempt us, but
      we don't have to buy. Let's cut out pop and chips and eat milk and
      vegetables – good
      wholesome food. Make your own soups and stews.

      Do you know what it feels like to not "owe" anyone money? No
      one! Just imagine at the end of the month all your bills are paid and
      you owe not a dime! You can. Buy a home you can afford, and pay
      extra on your mortgage to pay it off early. And don't fall into the
      scam of home equity loans. They just keep you from your long term
      goals of paying off debt. Put several month's income in the bank for
      emergencies. And there always are – emergencies, that is. Also,
      have a policy that you don't buy what you can't pay for in cash.
      And, most importantly, if you borrow money, pay it back!

      Computers are great for the family, but you don't have to
      have all the latest video games. Play a board game or go outdoors.
      Teach your kids how to play. They love it when mom and dad play with
      them, and it doesn't cost a dime. Think simple. Football anyone?

      An added bonus is that when mom and dad don't owe a bunch of
      money, someone can be home with the kids.

      Sew your own curtains. And if you don't know how to cook or
      garden, ask someone to show you. They will be glad too. Gram and
      Gramps come in handy here.

      Family can chip in together when labor is needed. When my
      son recently bought a house, everyone chipped in to help with
      roofing, and odd jobs that his "fixer upper" needed. Actually it is
      a nice house in a very nice neighborhood, that just needed some TLC
      and didn't cost an arm and a leg. He is always quick to chip in when
      someone else needs a hand, too. Free labor saves a bundle when you
      have several people to lend a hand.

      Think of ways you can save money in your neighborhood. One
      group I know went in together to buy a truck with a plow. A smaller
      neighborhood uses a snowblower. They enjoy helping each other out,
      rather than worry about who's turn. There's a single mother with a
      couple kids, and they like to keep her driveway clean, too.

      Maybe you could put together a neighborhood co-op. How about
      trading babysitting? Or picking up a few extra items when you go to
      the store, or taking a neighbor to the doctor. How about just
      getting to know your neighbors by taking them a plate of cookies, or
      a cake and stay for a visit? It's a nice way to start.

      Here in America, it's time to put on our thinking caps and
      start doing what makes sense, as well as cents. Let's work together
      instead of trying to out buy each other. The one who lives with the
      most debt, really loses!

      * * *
      Wisdom is being true to our inner self - thus bringing harmony and
      into our lives. It's discovering a new idea or solution that meets
      everyone's needs. Wisdom is also honoring people and caring about
      their rights. It is reflected in the courtesy with which we treat

      * Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and
      let each new year find you a better man. ~~Benjamin Franklin

      * We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put
      words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its
      first chapter is New Year's Day. ~ ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

      Easy New Year's Dip

      Take a softened cream cheese. Cover with Cocktail sauce and a half-
      can tiny shrimp (drained). Serve with assorted crackers.

      Happy Simple New Years!