New Year's Blue Bird - Simple Ways to Making Things Better!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2008

      "We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put
      words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first
      chapter is New Year's Day." ~~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

      "This bright New Year is given me
      To live each day with zest…
      To daily grow and try to be
      My highest and my best!

      I have the opportunity
      Once more to right some wrongs,
      To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
      And sing more joyful songs!"
      ~~ William Arthur Ward

      "The truest view of life has always seemed to me to be that which
      shows that we are here not to enjoy, but to learn."~~Frederick
      William Robertson

      The new year is here, and so are our Bluebirds! I couldn't
      believe it until we saw them again the other morning. There is a
      male and female. They must be finding enough food around here. If
      we see them, it is usually about 9 am on a bush right in front of our
      bay window, or on some nearby maples.

      I'll take it as a good sign that spring is on the way, even
      though there are inches of snow, and a layer of ice thrown in just
      for fun. The terrible weather that California is getting now, will
      probably be here in a few days, (hopefully watered down!), but for
      now, we have a reprieve and a few days of weather in the 30's and
      40's. Nice to see the sun again.

      What are you looking forward to this year? Maybe 2007 wasn't
      all you dreamed. Make it happen this year, by making good choices.
      You are in charge of the year, for the most part. See how you can
      save money, eat healthy, get more exercise, be a better family, a
      better couple, a and even a better worker!

      Better things for your family – make a menu of healthy meals and post
      them a week at a time. Whoever gets home first will know what is
      cooking and know what to start. Post the recipe, right there, if
      there might be any questions.

      Better things for the garage – does your car need tires, oil change,
      or other service? Schedule it, and put it on the calendar to keep it
      up. Don't drive an unsafe car. Clean up the garage, while you are
      at it. Get rid of things you don't need, or haven't used in a couple
      years. Put up some storage shelves and get things organized.

      Better things for the house – start one room at a time and get it
      organized. Clean it out and get rid of the clutter. Dust, vacuum,
      clean or paint everything. Whatever you can get rid of, you won't
      have to ever touch again. Keep only your favorites, and it's less
      junk your family won't have to get rid of someday. Start at the main
      entry door, and work your way through. Donate the good stuff to
      really feel good about it.

      Better things for the car – clean it up! Spend an hour cleaning the
      junk out of your car. Keep only a few needed things for
      emergencies. Dust, vacuum, and wash it inside and out.

      Simple Stuffed Cabbage – you can use this for your first healthy new
      recipe! Serve with hot rolls for a great dinner idea!

      12 large cabbage leaves 1/8 t pepper
      ½ c cooked rice 1 jar spaghetti or tomato sauce
      ½ t salt 1/4 t crushed thyme & oregano
      chopped onion and green pepper
      1 lb lean ground beef or ½ beef & ½ Italian sausage
      Wash cabbage leaves. Boil 4 cups water. Turn off heat. Soak
      leaves in this water for 5 minutes. You can soak entire head and then
      remove the needed leaves after soaking. Remove, drain and cool.
      Combine ground meat, rice, salt, onion, Green pepper, pepper and
      thyme. Place 3 tbsp meat mixture on each loaf and roll firmly. Place
      in electric slow cooker. Pour tomato sauce over stuffed cabbage.
      Cover and cook on low setting for 8 - 10 hours.