Happy Anniversary!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2007

      "The only way to live is to accept each minute as an unrepeatable
      miracle, which is exactly what it is - a miracle and unrepeatable."
      ~~ Margaret Storm Jameson

      "The world is full of poetry. The air is living with its spirit; and
      the waves dance to the music of its melodies, and sparkle in its
      brightness." ~~ Percival

      "Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind;
      the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~~Henry
      James

      Happy Anniversary!

      My parents, Neil and Carolyn Sergent, celebrated their 50th
      wedding anniversary this past week. It was also my mother's
      birthday, which was the 14th. The CBS show "Survivor" has nothing on
      them, only lasting 39 days at a time. 50 years - pretty good run,
      and still going strong.

      They married in 1957, my mom an LPN, and my dad soon to
      become a letter carrier for the US Postal Service, which became his
      career. I remember dad often coming home for lunch, making an onion
      and cheese sandwich or maybe meatloaf – something that I always
      thought was "yuck"! There were always the "donut shop" stories
      during dinner when dad would recount what hilarious thing happened
      with his mailmen buddies. I don't think dad goes on a trip anywhere
      without stopping somewhere for a donut! We still look forward to
      them.

      They had a new 1957 Chevy. Their first apartment, in Flint,
      was rented from a family friend. My dad's mom was taken shopping the
      day after their short honeymoon, so she wouldn't be home when my dad
      came to collect his things and leave the house for the last time.
      They met at my mother's Aunt's house, where my mother was staying
      while she went to nursing school and began her career. Since my Aunt
      had four sons, naturally their friends were always bringing home
      friends. After about 6 months of dating, my dad took my mom to
      Frankenmuth and they became engaged. Fifty years later, we
      celebrated there again!

      That `57 Chevy, the only "new" car my dad ever bought, was
      sold in 1958 when they found that I was on the way. The big car
      payment (I think it was $25.) was more than my dad thought they could
      handle, so they bought a used car, another Chevy. It was always
      important to my mom and dad to provide a nice home, in a nice
      neighborhood for their family, which became a family of five with the
      addition of my two brothers. While we were kids, mom and dad always
      had remodeling ideas for each home we lived in. Knocking out a wall
      between the living room and dining room, or adding a large screened
      in porch, or bay window. I remember when we got our first
      dishwasher! I thought my dishwashing days were over. Ha!

      There was always, and still is a basketball court and dad
      still finds time for a few lay-ups with the grandkids. We all had
      bicycles and often rode around town together in the evenings. I
      loved hearing the stories of my mom growing up in the "country"
      envying her riding horses with friends. I always begged to move to
      the country, but, looking back, the small town life was real nice.
      They were always careful with money but always managed to do nice
      things. Dad did most of the work on our houses himself, and mom
      always had a vegetable garden and canned all kinds of goodies, like
      tomatoes and pickles. I doubt she ever bought a jar of jam! Mom and
      Dad took me to Fox Theater in Detroit to see "The Sound of Music",
      which remains my favorite all-time film. I could probably lip-sinc
      the whole movie. They recently traveled to Grand Rapids to see the
      play, which they loved. The "Music Man" was another family
      favorite. We loved watching the old TV family favorites - "Andy
      Griffith", "Gomer Pyle", and once in a while I got to stay up to
      watch "Bonanza". Mom and Dad have always loved music and we had a
      nice "record" collection.

      We also became a "camping" family and did lots of canoeing on
      Michigan rivers with friends. After mom went back to school to
      become a teacher, spring break usually meant a camping trip south.
      We'd go to Tennessee, Kentucky, Vermont, and Florida. Once we were
      in Washington DC, right at Cherry blossom time. And we have the
      slides to prove it!

      There were hard times, like any other family, with sicknesses
      and loss of parents. My dad met what would become one of his best
      friends during a hospital stay, and their family became camping
      buddies of ours. Faith was always apart of our lives and memories of
      attending church together are just as real as the homes we lived in.
      Holidays brought family to our house, or theirs. Alternating between
      my mother's family, or my father's family, or both, until we got to
      be too many! Family and friends numbered nearly 200 at my
      grandfather's 100th birthday party 3 years ago!

      There were disagreements over the years, but Dad was always a
      gentleman with my mother, holding doors, helping around the house.
      Neither had "his" or "her" jobs, if it needed doing, it was done
      whether diapers or yard work. I've never heard either call the other
      a name. There was, and still is, kindness and respect – a
      thoughtfulness that rarely is seen today. They worked together, it
      didn't happen by accident.

      Congratulations, Mom and Dad, on a journey well lived.

      * * *
      Keep from gaining extra pounds over the holidays, by sticking
      with fiber-rich foods - baked beans, raw veggies, whole grains and
      fruit!

      columns. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesimple_life