Simple Impressions

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2007

      "Spiritual values transcend the material artifacts that we can touch
      and see. They take us into the realm of beauty, inspiration and
      love." ~~ Nido Qubein

      "The greatest composer does not sit down to work because he is
      inspired, but becomes inspired because he is working." ~~ Ernest
      Newman

      * * *

      Simple Impressions

      When I was a young girl, one of my uncles came for a visit. I rarely
      saw him, and he was very happy to see us. When he greeted us, he
      reached in his pocket and took out several quarters and gave them to
      me. Wow! Real money. I was young enough, maybe 5, so that I didn't
      often have money to spend. He really made an impression on me. I
      never forgot that. I always looked forward to seeing him.

      A young man was recently telling me of being in a situation where an
      adult really lost his temper. He heard the man yelling at another
      man. He was a young boy at the time but even though he is now grown,
      he still clearly remembered his feelings from that day, even when it
      happened nearly 20 years earlier. He said he was very embarrassed
      and wanted to leave the room, even though he was not the object of
      the man's temper. I realized how long that young man had been
      carrying that memory around! And he will carry it until the end of
      his life. I wonder what that man would think if he knew the memory
      the young man had of him.

      Sometimes, we only get one opportunity to make an impression on
      someone. It may be a lasting impression. Or, what if we have a bad
      temper and our kids have memory upon memory of our flashes of anger?
      Once those memories are written, they can't be erased.

      A man once told me he couldn't work for anyone, he just never got
      along with anyone for very long. As soon as he ran into a
      disagreement, he'd quit or get fired. He always had a hard time
      earning a living, instead of learning how to get along with others.

      A girlfriend of mine had a father who was an alcoholic. She could
      never have friends over. And when he came home drunk, she would just
      hide if she could. What a memory of her own father!

      I read that our lives are like empty envelopes. When people do
      something kind, it's like making a deposit in a bank account. When
      people do hurtful things, they are taking away from the envelope,
      like a withdrawal from the bank. What kind of memories do we leave?
      Deposits of good, or withdrawals in red?

      Baby geese will follow whatever they first see that moves after
      hatching. Whatever it is, they think it's their mother, and they try
      to imitate it. People are like that, too. Sometimes we wish we
      could forget, but we can't.

      Kind of scary, isn't it? Remember that bully from school? Or, what
      about something really nice that someone did for you? Some memories
      others have of us cannot be erased. Make `em good ones.

      ~Simple Stromboli~

      Make Stromboli from frozen bread dough, cold cuts, cheese and fresh
      veggies like broccoli, onion, cheese and red peppers to please those
      vegetarian guests. Allow dough to rise according to package
      directions. Roll into rectangle. Layer meats and cheeses. Roll as you
      would a jellyroll. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a
      light, golden brown. Freeze in foil. Thaw and heat before serving.
      (You can slice and heat in the microwave or heat in a 350 degree oven
      for about 10 to 15 minutes.)

      columns.