Fall clean up

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2007

      When you are content to simply be yourself and don't compare or
      compete, everyone will respect you. Lao Tzu

      Then summer fades and passes and October comes. We'll smell smoke
      then, and feel an unexpected sharpness, a thrill of nervousness,
      swift elation, a sense of sadness and departure.~~Thomas Wolfe

      * * *

      Northern Michigan autumn is fading fast. Our yard is bare,
      even though we still have beautiful blooming roses and petunias.
      They haven't given up yet, and there are even some delphiniums in the
      yard that are still in bloom (for the second bloom). There are still
      some beautiful pockets of color and a short ride around the
      neighborhood today brought some lovely golden orange maples into
      view. Most of the reds are gone. I heard that the colors change 20
      miles south, each week, but not sure if I can trust that rumor!
      Going near the great lakes also makes a difference with the climate
      near the big bodies of water making the weather more temperate, and
      fall colors are slower to turn there. It sure is a beautiful fall,
      and outdoor jobs are fun to do.

      This week we will give the lawn a final mowing. Some years I have
      cut all the perennials, but recently read that birds love the seeds,
      so will keep some of them uncut for the birds. I can just as easily
      cut them in the spring.

      I have an area I want to make into a patio, but it was full
      of plants and some are bulbs. I can't put the patio blocks down
      until I dig up the bulbs. That got me to thinking that next year I
      will put a marker where I have a patch of bulbs, so that when digging
      I will know I have a clump of flowers there, hiding underground.
      That will be a fun spring project for next spring to look forward
      to. And, I might get some great ideas before then, as well.

      Just looking around the yard, I see a few things that need to
      be put away. Most things, like lawn furniture, get put away or
      covered here. They might be winter hardy, but they will last better
      if they are under cover. Things like putting hoses away and general
      yard clean up are done in a few minutes on a nice sunny warm day.

      * * *
      Simple Cinnamon Rolls

      Several requests for cinnamon rolls recipes came from last
      weeks bread recipe. I had an early start getting to know cinnamon
      rolls. My mother, and my grandmother were the pros who taught me.
      Start with the dough recipe from last weeks column, or go to the
      website. Let it rise once and punch down. Let rest for 10 to 20
      minutes. Pat out the dough into a 9 X 16 (or so) rectangle. Spread
      a layer of brown sugar ( the more brown sugar, it will melt to the
      bottom of the pan and make a carmelly glaze), a generous layer of
      cinnamon, and various raisins, chopped apples, and or nuts can be
      added, as well. Roll up and slice. I put this recipe into one 10"
      pie pan, or a double recipe into a 9X13 pan. Let rise again. They
      are ready to bake when you touch them with your finger and the
      indentation stays. If it quickly disappears, it is still rising.
      Bake about 25 minutes until golden brown. Frost and serve ( warm of
      course!)
      * * *

      "I have discovered that the people who believe most strongly in the
      next life do the most good in the present one." -- C.S. Lewis

      We all have but one life. We choose to make it a fairy tale, or a
      nightmare. What me make of it, comes from our choices.