Sounds of Fall

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2007

      Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. (Leonardo DaVinci)

      The sounds of fall, geese gathering, chain saws, guns being
      fired and leaves rustling, signal changing seasons. The weatherman
      tells us later this week we may need jackets. The shorts go in the
      closet where the sweaters were stored away.

      Fall is my season for a yard sale. All year, I have a place
      where I put things that I realize I don't need any more. Books that
      have been read, dish sets that have been replaced, but mainly just
      things I don't use any more; things someone else may find useful.
      Oh, I could get rid of more, but who wants a bare house? Now, with
      only a week or so to go, the sorting and gathering begins in
      earnest.

      Now I love going to yard sales just a little more than I love
      having one. "The hunt" for another piece to a collection, for
      usually a fraction of an "antique store" price makes it all the more
      fun. Give me a yard sale to an antique store anyday. Even my
      husband loves the fun, often finding a wrench, wheels, hubcaps, - guy
      things I know nothing about. One day recently he had all the "finds"
      while I bought nothing. I especially love it when the kids sell
      lemonade and cookies. I have been buying cookies from two boys in
      Wisconsin every year. We go there for vacation every year, to a
      little town called Iola. There is an old car festival, and each year
      thousands of volunteers work together to put on this great event.
      The population swells by thousands. The people in town put on their
      yard sales at the same time. I take my bicycle along – its much
      easier to navigate the traffic! And my bicycle has a basket. (If I
      buy something that is too big for my bike, we wait until evening to
      pick it up.)

      This year when I got to the yard sale, the boys were not in sight. I
      said, "Where are the boys with the cookies?" The father called his
      son, who had just stepped inside for a moment, from the house. My
      how he has grown! They are big, burly football players, now. This
      year they were prepared and even had recipe sheets to give to
      their "regular" customers! The oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, and
      molasses recipes are now in my recipe binder, back home in Michigan.

      I don't buy a lot, riding a bike, but I visit with the same people
      year after year. It's really fun. This year I found 4 matching
      bentwood chairs for $4 each there. They are now painted blue and
      circle our kitchen table. What a bargain!
      Sometimes we find home-grown produce, honey, or crafts. You just
      never know.

      So, while we are driving around noticing all the fall changes, we are
      also looking for that bargain. There's more than one "hunting
      season" in the fall!

      * * *

      Simple Crock-pot Mushroom Chicken In Sour Cream Sauce

      6 skinless bone in breast halves
      1 can cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 oz size)
      8 oz. sour cream
      1/2 C. chicken broth
      1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms (or (4) 4 oz. cans)
      1/4 t lemon pepper
      1 t garlic powder
      1/2 t paprika
      1 1/2 t salt
      1/4 t pepper

      Combine salt, pepper, paprika, lemon pepper, garlic powder. Rub
      over chicken, place in crockpot and add the mushrooms. Combine soup,
      sour cream and broth. Pour over chicken. You can also use chicken
      pieces, if desired. Cover, cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve over
      potatoes or rice.

      * * *
      ~Extend your Harvest~
      When frost threatens your tomato plants in the fall, pull
      them from the ground and hang them upside down in a garage, or where
      ever they won't be touched by frost. The tomatoes will continue to
      turn red until November, or later! Stretching your harvest saves
      dollars at the grocery. Green tomatoes can also be placed in brown
      paper bags in a cool place to slowly turn red. Darkness is what
      turns tomatoes, not putting them on a windowsill. A friend of mine,
      puts all the vines in a pile and covers them with an old blanket.
      That works, too.

      columns.